2018 Expedition vs. 2017 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cobalt_boater

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and this is my first thread. I am currently shopping for a full-size SUV for my growing family, and we have narrowed it down to a 2018 Expedition or a 2017 Navigator. We will have 3 kids in car seats and we also have a 25' Cobalt boat with a dry weight of 4,500 lbs. (not including fluids or trailer). The vehicle will be my wife's family hauler with occasional towing use, including some longer trips. Below are my requirements and nice-to-haves.

Requirements
Leather seats (or Active-X)
2nd Row Captain's Chairs
HD Tow Package
Sunroof

Nice-to-Have
"Max" or "L" model for extra cargo room
Rear seat entertainment

I am just looking for your feedback when comparing these two models. Finding an 18+ Expedition with the Captains Chairs and Tow Package has not been easy, especially if I want a Max. And to get the Expedition I want I am looking at $48-50k.

My wife and I are not crazy about the last gen Expedition (feel it looks outdated), but we actually both like the last gen Navigator. I know that it is essentially the same vehicle as the Expy, but the different front and rear ends combined with the upgraded features have us considering it as well. I believe all Navi's have the HD Tow Package, and the L's come with a 4.10 rear standard. Plus I have been able to find quite a few for sale with Captains Chairs and no center counsel. And depending on miles I am looking at $35-45k.

I really want to stay under $50k. Getting a 17 Navigator L that checks all of my boxes for around $40k is enticing. But we really like the 18+ Expedition as well. What do you think??

Last edited:
OP
OP
cobalt_boater

cobalt_boater

Reaction score
Yes, I know I am comparing a Gen 3 Navigator to a Gen 4 Expedition. All things equal we would get the Expedition. But given the lower price point of the Navigator and the fact that it seems easier to find one that meets all of my requirements than an Expedition, we are considering the older Navigator. Hoping to get some more feedback comparing the two, or maybe hear from someone who made a similar decision. Thanks

OP
OP
cobalt_boater

cobalt_boater

Reaction score
I am currently looking at this Expedition. 2018 Limited with 301A, Special Edition, and HD Tow Packages. 1-owner trade-in with just under 60k miles for about $48k. What do you guys think? Is the 60k mile service a major maintenance milestone?

Can anyone tell me if this one has CCD? And also what exactly is CCD and how does it impact towing and everyday driving?

Expedition.jpg

Expedition 2.png

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done this exact comparison for myself, but some considerations are below:

If you have three kids, you'll definitely want the longer wheelbase. It helps with luggage as well as stability while towing.
Payload can be an issue with higher level trims, and you'll definitely want max tow (as you noted).
Some people don't want the hassle of using a WDH with a boat, but you may max out tongue weight without a WDH.
The 2018 Expedition has many desirable upgrades over the 2017 Navigator, including the 10 speed, tilt and slide seats, dynamic cruise, 10 more hp, and a few others. Brochures are online for each year, so you can see which options are available.
An extended warranty is highly recommended, as major repairs on these Ecoboost engines can be expensive.
CCD is adaptive damping for 22" wheels.

OP
OP
cobalt_boater

cobalt_boater

Reaction score
Thanks Jason! All very good feedback. The longer wheelbase is definitely my preference, but I'm finding it very difficult to find one with captains chairs and tow package.

And Deadman, I agree with you. Unfortunately this is one of the best deals I have found in this crazy market. Again it has me considering a 3rd Gen Navigator L for $10k less...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After owning a pre refresh 3rd gen navi, driven 2017 nav with ccd and without and owning a 2018 expy, here's what I can tell you:

-The 10 sp is a huge improvement over the 6sp. It keeps the truck in its PowerBand better and helps it get better fe.

-the driver assist tech on the 18 does help with long distance cruising such as adaptive cruise, lane keep and pre collision.

-the nav will have "softer" seats, but the expy will have more "comfy" seats

-the sec and third row space in the 18 blows away the 2nd row space, which def helps with car seats.

- the expy will have better handling. As far as ride goes, I felt the 17 nav l w/o ccd has the best overall balance btw plush and control. My expy didn't have ccd(it was like the one you posted) and the ride was great but a tad inconsistent, one day it's extremely absorbent, the next day you feel every crack in the road. The 17 nav with ccd was also good, but did wander a bit too much for my liking. The ccd in the new nav doesn't wander as much and I'd assume that the expy ccd feels somewhat similar.

- watch 18s for a lot of the little quirks they had at first build. Overall though, outside of cams phasers and shocks leaking (non ccd), you should be ok.

Emilner

Reaction score
One thing I have to question- with 3 kids why are you considering 2nd row captains chairs? We have 3 kids and a second row bench is mandatory- otherwise you have to always have the third row partially up whenever you go somewhere with the fam. There is so much shoulder room in the second row that they all have plenty of space 3 across and I almost never have to leave a 3rd row seat up.

I would also seriously consider an 18 over the 17. The newest gen is a substantial jump forward over the last series.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, the ‘17 Navigator L only came with an open differential, while the 18 Expedition with HD tow package has an eLSD with locking mode. Note that 2018 Expeditions with the HD tow package were not built in high numbers as Ford had issues producing said fancy rear axle in volume, so I’m not surprised that they’re hard to find used. They were hard to find new.