2018 Expy won't start, brake pedal tight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seventieslord

Reaction score
Can't get my 2018 Expy going today. It ran for about 20 minutes by remote start, then we got into it after it had turned off. Held the brake down, hit start, car started, message said "vehicle not in park", thought it was a glitch, so we shut down, tried to restart, now we can't.

Car has full power.

Have tried going into Stay in Neutral mode just to see what would happen. It doesn't help.

Brake pedal is super tight, but the car does still know when I'm hitting the brake and the lights come on.

Disconnected battery for 15 minutes to try to "reset" whatever was happening. Didn't help. Brake pedal still super tight.

This has to be some kind of simple electronic glitch, but what?

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
Brake shift interlock didn't seem to do anything (the little button accessible in the center console via a screwdriver)

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I'm uploading a video to YouTube right now. I get the message "restart now or key needed". This seems like something that it would say to you once you've been running it on remote start until it shuts itself off. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the remote start, is there a way to override it?

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your dash lights cutting out when you push the start button (assuming, since I can't see it) is a clue. Have you scanned it for codes?

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I had someone come scan for codes. He saw a few things, one of which was "starter performance", but he said you're likely to get that code anytime the car doesn't start. He saw the battery was reading only 8.6 volts so he said it's probably the battery, even though it's just a year old and the car started fine by remote, and wouldn't start a second after being turned off. I called in CAA just to give me a boost, but that failed. I had it towed into a garage who did some testing and concluded that it was my starter. I was highly skeptical and I warned them that they better be right, but I said to go ahead and replace my starter. Surprisingly, it was in fact my starter.

I really didn't think that this chain of events and behavior following the event pointed to the starter, but kudos to the garage for getting it right where I didn't.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still interested in why it read 8.6V. And yes, it could also be a battery. Mine was dead in less than 2 years and all sorts of weird stuff happens on these when the batteries die. Conceivably, a low battery voltage could cause starter issues too, it is an electric motor and motors don't run efficiently if they don't receive the voltage they need. Is the battery reading appropriate voltage now and did the shop do a battery stress test at all?