2018 Ham Radio install and a couple of other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resq-comm

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,
I'm Adam, I just purchased a new (to me) 2018 Limited. I will be installing a ham radio and have looked at the mounting options. I believe the safest location will be in the little cubby on the driver's side and route the power back to the battery unless there is a decent power source already back there, antenna and remote (head, mic and speaker) cables along the driver's side, under the panels to the front. the antenna will be a fender no-hole drilled mount. I have not completely decided where I'm going to put the control head yet. in my 2017 F-150 I bought the after-market mounting platform that bolts to the dash top tray, I also had a scanner mounted there and not sure yet if I'm going to re-install that. If i do, that is where it will all go.
I am curious how the tray with the cup holders comes out? are they just compression clips or is there a hidden screw that will require a major disassembly of that whole side? I don't want to force it and break something.

a second question: on my 2017 F-150, I was able to follow instructions to add jumpers in the under-hood fuse box to apply constant power to the 12v plugs (I did not do all of them, just certain ones) has anyone been able to accomplish this? If not, I will likely work on this as weather allows and report back.

Finally, at least for now... This has the rear seat entertainment screens in the head rests. the dealership said they are not able to locate the remote or headsets but are looking.... is there a way to determine which version of system is installed and what the replacement parts (remote and headsets) would be?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Adam

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What radio are you putting in? I haven't put one in my expedition yet, wife doesn't want it in her car. I'm looking at some lower impact options that won't bug her. I've been eyeing the VGC VR-N7500, its chinese but it uses an android device for the headset and a bluetooth mic so I wouldn't have to run wires up for the head or mic and wouldn't leave anything visible when I'm not in there using it. Reviews seem decent on it from what I have seen, not a Yaesu or kenwood but for an occasional use radio I am considering it.

I too have thought of using that cubby in the back. I am not aware of any 12v power in the back with wires big enough to handle a 50w radio. I would plan to run dedicated power back there. I have waffled over the years with constant power vs keyed vs switched. I currently have the radio in my jeep only on when the ignition is on and I occasionally would like it on when the ignition is off but it hasn't been that big of an issue. I would like to put a relay in and have a switch to change it from ignition fed to on all the time but it doesn't bug me enough to get me to do it.

OP
OP
R

resq-comm

Reaction score
morning. My current radio is a Yaesu FTM-200. It has a really small control head. the antenna mounts I have are: FO3ANTNCG (there is a specific drivers and passenger side) from NCG. https://cometantenna.com/amateur-radio/no-holes-mobile-mounts/antenna-mounts-and-brackets/

the dash mount I have is from Built Right Industries.

I didn't suspect that there would be any "sufficient" 12v power but figured I'd ask. I've been surprised before...

As for power... I have also been conflicted with keyed/switched vs constant, and usually go with constant and just maintain awareness. I use Power Pole connections, so if I park for longer than a week, I usually just unplug the radio.

I am kind of fanatical about a clean install, and I'm a minimalist when it comes to my in-vehicle equipment. I like to have the screen of whatever I'm installing in a position where to see the screen it's not unnatural for the eyes to see it. on the dash, it was just a slight glance to the right on the dash and the eyes never really leave the road. down by the knees or in the center console (in my opinion) forces me to look away from the road for too long. I had the SDS200 on the dash and the ham radio control head attached just to the left, so everything was in easy view. but it was big and being on the dash, it was a potential target for a thief and was in the direct sunlight. Both of which I wasn't too happy with but had to work with what I had.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an ftm-200 in my jeep at the moment and have the control head on the dash just left of the steering wheel, I stick a stocking cap over it and it just looks like I have stocking cap on the dash. It has seemed to provide enough protection that it hasn't had issues over several summers of use this way. You also can't tell anything is under the hat so it doesn't give anyone any reason to break in to steal it.

Speaking of the ftm-200. Do you have any weird issues when it is cold? Mine does not transmit for a few minutes when it is really cold and just turned on. After keying up a few times it seems to warm up and then start transmitting and operating just fine. I have talked to yaesu and they of course have never seen this before and I even sent it in once and they claimed it had no issues and worked fine. I have found a number of people online saying theirs do this too. I now get to park in the garage, so it doesn't seem to get cold enough in there to be an issue. I haven't seen the issue any other time when using it on the bench or in warmer temps.

Simon Clowes

Reaction score
While a little older than yours (99), I hope this helps. Made a metal plate and two hinges that sloped up near the dash and installed this just in front of the center consoles cup holders. I mounted the remote radios heads to this plate. The radio bodies are mounted to the floor behind the drivers seat (near needs to be adjusted). I ran a single 4 gauge cable back to where the radios were, the was fused at the battery end. At the radio end is a small fuse panel that then feeds power to the radios The power and remote cables run under the center console, while the coax runs under the drivers side door kick-strip.
When I can find it, I'll add a photo

Simon Clowes

Reaction score
COuldn't fnd one so I went out and took a quick one. Ignore the hair - that result of having a Husky/Sheperd Service Dog is hair EVERYWHERE..

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 64

Simon Clowes

Reaction score
Duneslider Until it was stolen, on my wedding day, I was using a HUV-6 into an auto-tuner then the radio. Right now I am using a 9ft stainless whip into the tuner. Eventually I'll replace the HUV-6

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Duneslider Until it was stolen, on my wedding day, I was using a HUV-6 into an auto-tuner then the radio. Right now I am using a 9ft stainless whip into the tuner. Eventually I'll replace the HUV-6
Interesting antenna, I haven't seen that one before.

OP
OP
R

resq-comm

Reaction score
good morning everyone,

so, I finally got around to installing the radio.
I reused the mounting shelf from BuiltRight industries that I had in my 2017 F-150. I ran the speaker, microphone and control cable under the dash to the driver's side then under the trip to the rear. i would have preferred to pull the panel along the driver's side of the 3rd row seating, but I was able to fish a pull string and pull each wire. the radio is mounted under the 3rd row driver side seat. the auto fold seats clear it without any concern.

for power and antenna, I ran the cables down the firewall under the brake booster, then entered the cab through the gromet already being used by the power running board harness. That was a tight fit!! that gromet comes up on the driver's side floor under the carpet.

The antenna mount is the Commet I mentioned above in a previously reply.

So far, my only complaint with the radio, is when the "auto shut off" is active or when I start my Expy the radio will power cycle. I'm currently connected to the battery positive and a ground point just by the washer fluid reservoir. Any suggestions?

as for my other questions in my original post. I will work on the power port constant power when it's warmer.

finally, the RES..... the dealership I purchased the Expy from ordered the remotes and headsets. I am still not able to get the RES working. the passenger side sort-of powers up. I can see the red buttons at the bottom blinking, the blue power light comes on and a "glow" from the screen. The driver's side gets nothing. no lights, no glow.... i did pull the power plug under the driver's seat and found 14.41V at the plug. So, now I wonder if it is a loose connection in the seat/headrest or just a bad EVO5.

does anyone know how to troubleshoot this further or access any additional connections or remove the display from the headrest?

Thanks and have a great and safe New Year's weekend!

20221216_164832.jpg