2018 Hands Free Liftgate not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

719c6

Reaction score
2018 Max Platinum with the hands-free option not working. All other methods work fine and the option is enabled on the dash options. Bought it used so no idea if it ever worked. Where and what do I need to check?

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
Not missing much. It works about 40% of the time I try to use it. I have an '18 Max as well.

You can try disabling and enabling it in dash options. If that doesn't work, have you checked your battery? Random things stop working once your battery doesn't hold a high enough charge.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a look and see if the previous owner unplugged the sensor. Many of us have done this because it's more of a pain than it's worth, especially if you do things with the hitch like bicycle carriers. I have a nice dent in my hatch thanks to something that fell and rolled under the truck while I had stuff on the hitch.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know where I can find a diagram/location for the sensor?
This forum. Post number 22 has pictures.

OP
OP

719c6

Reaction score
Thanks. Got under and everything is plugged in. Is there a way to test or determine why it is not working? Guess I'm gonna look in Forscan and see if there is an option to delete/undelete this option.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do you know it isn't working? Are you kicking under the bumper correctly? It's a crappy system. I probably look like an idiot trying to get it to open. Probably less than 50% rate as to whether it works or not.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do you know it isn't working? Are you kicking under the bumper correctly? It's a crappy system. I probably look like an idiot trying to get it to open. Probably less than 50% rate as to whether it works or not.
This, it's easier to activate it accidentally when you don't want to than when your arms are full of stuff and you need it to work. Make sure you are kicking in the right place.

OP
OP

719c6

Reaction score
Tried from about all angles and methods. Verified everything plugged in and activated in Forscan. I'm out of ideas... anyone?