2018 HELP!!! COLD START NOISE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kandice

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/JRVZbXTPuhY

Purchased in August of 2018. Currently have 62000 miles. My problems started with my coolant kept going low. Had the hoses replaced. Still kept losing coolant. Was told I need to replace the water pump. Haven't done it yet, but now I'm hearing a clanking noise at cold start. (Link attached) Is this associated with the water pump or a whole other problem? Help!

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/JRVZbXTPuhY

Purchased in August of 2018. Currently have 62000 miles. My problems started with my coolant kept going low. Had the hoses replaced. Still kept losing coolant. Was told I need to replace the water pump. Haven't done it yet, but now I'm hearing a clanking noise at cold start. (Link attached) Is this associated with the water pump or a whole other problem? Help!
The water pump is pretty easy to replace, but I would still do it ASAP before causing other major issues.

The most important part,, you should’ve received a letter from Ford around September/October of last year. This letter instructed the owners to go to the dealership to perform a mandatory software update by Feb 2022. If you have done this software update then you should be covered 100% by Ford to perform the cam phaser repair until 70,000 miles. This is a very expensive repair if paid out of pocket. I assume around $3,000.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The water pump does have to be removed as well as a lot of the coolant parts to do the cam phasers. Take it in to the dealer and see if you pay a slight amount that they could do the pump or coolant part that’s leaking while doing the phaser repair. If it’s the pump, a good dealer would just have you pay for the diagnosis of the leak and pump while doing the phasers.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had lots of engine work on my 2018 plati. Rear main seal, front engine cover, water pump, cam phasers (3 times and going in again next week) leaking coolant lines to the tranny...gets a bit much after a while.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other point, might be good to do the thermostat as well. There not a very robust part on these engines and worth doing it if in there for the cam phasers and anything that’s leaking. Seems the thermostats only last about 60k and start to bind.

OP
OP
K

Kandice

Reaction score
The water pump is pretty easy to replace, but I would still do it ASAP before causing other major issues.

The most important part,, you should’ve received a letter from Ford around September/October of last year. This letter instructed the owners to go to the dealership to perform a mandatory software update by Feb 2022. If you have done this software update then you should be covered 100% by Ford to perform the cam phaser repair until 70,000 miles. This is a very expensive repair if paid out of pocket. I assume around $3,000.
I don't believe I had that done. I don't remember being notified. I do, however, take it in for all my maintenence before it's due so hopefully they caught that. So, just to clarify, you believe the cam phaser is what's causing the cold start noise?

DavidCola

Reaction score
I had this on my 2019 Plat. Dealer fixed under the recall for the cam phaser. As stated, you need to do the software update (which did nothing) 1st. Then Ford will pay for the replacement of the phaser. I had 60k going into the repair. The repair has held so far.

OP
OP
K

Kandice

Reaction score
Update!!! I just spoke with the Ford dealership and they let me know they did do the software update in October. And it is covered as a one time fix for the cam phaser. So I'm waiting to see how much the cost would actually be to replace it, since they updated the software and that's what it covered only.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update!!! I just spoke with the Ford dealership and they let me know they did do the software update in October. And it is covered as a one time fix for the cam phaser. So I'm waiting to see how much the cost would actually be to replace it, since they updated the software and that's what it covered only.
Here is the info on it. It should be 100% covered before 69,999 miles since the software update was completed.

Attachments

• MC-10204046-0001.pdf
    737.8 KB · Views: 36