2018 Max with Class IV Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even if the accident was caused by another vehicle and you did everything right they could use that as a excuse to blame you. And God forbid someone got hurt or killed you could be tried with vehicle manslaughter and it wasn't even your fault. Not saying it would happen but it is defiantly in the realm of possibilities. Why take the chance.

Nightfire

Reaction score
Yes they can all physically move 9000 lbs, but beyond that is too much and dangerous. They aren't designed for it. Legally no, not all expeditions are able to tow this much weight. As has been mentioned already, insurance companies will deny an accident claim if they find out you were towing outside your limit.
B.S. Have you ever seen or even heard of an insurance company tow the carnage of the wrecked truck, demolished camper and 8 human carcasses over to a cat scale and weigh everything to ensure it was below the rating posted on the doir sticker. Half joking, but the fear mongering statement has been made countless times on towing forums. I literally just had experience with this last month. I was over several ratings slammed into a huge pothole on the freeway exit causing my headers to come loose and melt my front Axle boot. So much smoke I thought the truck was about to catch fire. Payed for a tow, and repairs. My insurance company deposited $450 in my bank account last week.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
B.S. Have you ever seen or even heard of an insurance company tow the carnage of the wrecked truck, demolished camper and 8 human carcasses over to a cat scale and weigh everything to ensure it was below the rating posted on the doir sticker. Half joking, but the fear mongering statement has been made countless times on towing forums. I literally just had experience with this last month. I was over several ratings slammed into a huge pothole on the freeway exit causing my headers to come loose and melt my front Axle boot. So much smoke I thought the truck was about to catch fire. Payed for a tow, and repairs. My insurance company deposited $450 in my bank account last week.
Maybe so, but you didn't have an accident while overloaded. That's what I'm getting at. I really don't understand why people think its okay to tow something that is heavier than the vehicle is designed for. Sure you can get it moving but are your brakes up to the task?