2018 PLATINUM SUDDEN/INTERMITTENT POWER FAIL?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No need for Cayla’s info. We reached out to Ford on Twitter and provided the information on our situation. Later the same day we got a call from the dealership and they received approval from Ford for the transmission replacement and now have it on order for us.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was an absolute battle of the most miserable kind but ultimately we did prevail -- a brand new transmission was installed and the problem no longer exists.

The dealer (part of the Van Horn Group) FULLY embodied every, single, negative, characteristic, a dealer could possibly fall down on...and they were some of the most dishonest people we have ever encountered -- ever.

Bottom line, if your dealer is uncooperative you MUST get Ford Corporate involved -- they saved the day for us.

Specifically, if need be, try to get Cayla in Houston in your corner. If it gets sideways reach out to me directly and I will provide you her contact information.

Absent a new transmission this problem will not go away for you...

Cheers mate.

PS...after insisting they couldn't/wouldn't pay for the hail damage we came off the top-rope with a flying suplex and they covered that too :cool:
Dang, sounds like I could have used this "Cayla" persons contact when I spent 9 months fighting to get the turbo wastegate rattles fixed. Which subsequently 1.5yrs later the rattles are slowly coming back, yippee!

townps

Reaction score
If it's the same issue I've been having, you can easily reproduce the issue by coasting at highway speeds (60-80mph), then floor it (100% throttle as if you're needing to pass somebody quickly.

When the issue happens, the transmission will "slip into neutral", the rpms will zing to redline (due to it being in neutral). Then 1 of 2 things will happen:

1) it will slam (with an very loud crunch/bang and the car will shake/shudder) into too low of a gear (the gear indicator will show 1st gear at highway speeds) for a split second, then you'll lose power (ie car will stop responding to throttle inputs), and after a second or two, it will shift normally and power will be restored.

2) you will lose power, you'll hear a metallic rattle coming from underneath the car, you will "lose power" ie car will stop responding to throttle inputs and the car coasts for 2-3 seconds, then it will shift into gear. You'll see a brief "shift sys fault" error followed by a "see manual" and wrench icon, which both disappear after a second or two.

Good luck. Hopefully you can get Ford to either replace the transmission or lemon law buy-it-back (though not sure if that's possible with a CPO). Would suggest taking videos of the issue so that they can't claim "couldn't reproduce" which every dealer and every make on the planet claims when they want to avoid fixing something.

Very interested to hear how things turn out for you.
I have the exact same issue that I’ve had the vehicle in the shop for multiple times. Was finally able to recreate/experience the issue with service manager riding with me. Local dealership is in process of having ford FSE visit site and provide further analysis. I am interested in hearing from everyone who has experienced this or similar problems with 4th generation expedition. What support have you received from Ford and Dealerships? What was your final resolution or vehicle disposition?

townps

Reaction score
My guess is this is the widespread 10R80 transmission issue (just google it). Ford is trying to ignore it/run out the clock on it, bc I would imagine it's a fundamental design issue with the 10R80 and they don't want to have to replace thousands of transmissions that are experiencing these issues.

I have a friend who works for Ford in a technical training capacity with dealers, and he tells me it's totally hit or miss which cars have these issues vs not, and that it's a problem with the software (not sure why they can't come out with a fix by now if that's true). Resetting the PCM does nothing, as it eventually starts acting possessed after driving it a while.

I unfortunately have a '19 that has been plagued with 10R80 issues for 2 years straight. Trading mine in next week for a '22 that hopefully does not have the same issues.
I can confirm that it is indeed a software issue. No codes are trapped/generated or stored on any module when this happens.

townps

Reaction score
Dang, sounds like I could have used this "Cayla" persons contact when I spent 9 months fighting to get the turbo wastegate rattles fixed. Which subsequently 1.5yrs later the rattles are slowly coming back, yippee!
Can you send me cayla’s info. I have additional information that may help Ford address the root cause of these issues.

Drew370

Reaction score
If this is a transmission issue then would it be possible to modify the TCM programming to help the situation? I ask because in my raptor I have tuned both the ECM and the TCM. If that affects the way it shifts, which a TCM mod does, then would it help this issue? Assuming it is a software issue. I have also experienced hard shifts in the raptor with the cruise on when I hit the gas pedal. Since it is tuned and still has the issue I may have just answered my own question. Just seems like software should make for an easy fix.