2018 Rear Entertainment Initial Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm clearly not smart enough to even be worrying about this because I don't see you answering my question. Thanks for trying anyway.
My apologies for not answering your question. Are you referring to the audio/video sync setting or were you asking why perhaps you couldn’t pair the speaker with SYNC?

Aquineas

Reaction score
Zarga, maybe I can help with that; this is what we did for a long trip. I used a JBL Xtreme Speaker/Subwoofer. Now this was waaaaay oversized and waaaaaay overkill, as this has enough sound to fill up a decent-sized room, but it was what I happened to have on hand in a pinch and I didn't have to spend any extra money. Preferably any smaller and more portable BT speaker would do (the JBL Xtreme is kind of a large, heavy potential missile to have unsecured in the passenger compartment in case of an accident, but it was on the floor, which would hopefully help a little).

Anyway I paired the portable speaker via bluetooth to the RSE, then plugged the BT speaker to the 2nd row power jack so that that the power never ran down. My wife somehow got both RSE units showing the same movie (actually in our Expy, the driver's seat RSE unit is the only one with a CD player), and it made a 24 hour trip (split over two days) bearable.

Of course if we tried to listen to anything in the front seat it would have been audio pandemonium, but I suppose it could have been done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of headphones on the kids, so I prefer to run the audio through the car; however, the lag is so bad that the kids can't watch DVDs. Folks in this forum and the service tech at my dealership said the audio lag that occurs while playing DVD sound through the car speakers could be eliminated by using a BT speaker.

I purchased a BT speaker and tried to pair it with SYNC. I got an error saying that SYNC was not compatible with the speaker. I then paired it with the RSE, but the audio lag is still present. When I plug the audio cable from the BT speaker into the RSE, the audio is in sync.

So I guess I'm wondering what I'm missing...what is the purpose of having a BT speaker if I still have the lag? I could just use a regular (i.e. non-BT) speaker, right? Am I missing something?

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are having audio/video sync issues when using the portable bluetooth speaker as well? What brand is it if you don’t mind me asking?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jholzha

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how you changed the delay for the audio through Bluetooth? Thanks!

Aquineas

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of headphones on the kids, so I prefer to run the audio through the car; however, the lag is so bad that the kids can't watch DVDs. Folks in this forum and the service tech at my dealership said the audio lag that occurs while playing DVD sound through the car speakers could be eliminated by using a BT speaker.

I purchased a BT speaker and tried to pair it with SYNC. I got an error saying that SYNC was not compatible with the speaker. I then paired it with the RSE, but the audio lag is still present. When I plug the audio cable from the BT speaker into the RSE, the audio is in sync.

So I guess I'm wondering what I'm missing...what is the purpose of having a BT speaker if I still have the lag? I could just use a regular (i.e. non-BT) speaker, right? Am I missing something?
You are not missing anything; there is absolutely no need to use the BT speaker if you're hard-wiring them and it works fine :).

Last edited:
OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
I bought a JBL Clip 2 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F24RELQ/)

OK, so to confirm: any type of BT pairing--whether RSE w/SYNC (through car's audio system) or RSE with external BT speaker--with video in the Expy will result in audio lag. The only option to sync lips & sound is to hardwire a speaker. Right?

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally don’t have an issue with the system. I ripped all of our dvds, blu rays, and digital copies to a 256gb SD card (approx 70 movies/shows with space left) and my 5 year old has figured out how to work it. Makes it nice with all the movies in one place. We don’t use the headphones and only play through the stereo. I guess since everything plays from the same source I synced the audio (1150 delay) once and it hasn’t been an issue since. We don’t use it a ton as we only allow the kids to watch movies on long trips, but it’s been flawless since setting it up like that. I guess if we had to switch disc it would be more of a pain.

The thing I don’t like is the lack of the ability to use car play at the same time. I guess using a separate BT speaker would solve that issue.

Also used the slingbox app a couple times and it worked great but burns through data fast.