2018 Tail Light Assembly Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiddKid

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any help here...not normally a DIY guy but this one I think is do-able...just want to make sure I'm buying the right part!

2018 Expedition Max Platinum. During a recent ice storm my wife had some quality time with a local ditch. Damage was minimal but the driver's side tail light was cracked. In doing some research online, it seems to me like there are two parts available online:
JL1Z-13405-G which seems to go for $200-$300
JL1Z-13405-H which seems to go for $700-$800

From what I can tell "G" is just the housing and since my lights are working fine I'm assuming I can remove the cracked housing, pop out the lights, insert them into the new housing and be good to go. "H" seems to come with new lights.

I was ready to pull the trigger and called my local dealer's parts department. He told me my part was "H" and quoted me $1,300 for it. I mentioned "G" and he said something along the lines of "Don't know what "G" is but my system says you need "H"."

So before I pulled the trigger online, I just wanted to confirm here. I can just buy "G", insert my existing bulbs into it, and I'm good to go...right? Am I missing anything?

Thanks all!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any help here...not normally a DIY guy but this one I think is do-able...just want to make sure I'm buying the right part!

2018 Expedition Max Platinum. During a recent ice storm my wife had some quality time with a local ditch. Damage was minimal but the driver's side tail light was cracked. In doing some research online, it seems to me like there are two parts available online:
JL1Z-13405-G which seems to go for $200-$300
JL1Z-13405-H which seems to go for $700-$800

From what I can tell "G" is just the housing and since my lights are working fine I'm assuming I can remove the cracked housing, pop out the lights, insert them into the new housing and be good to go. "H" seems to come with new lights.

I was ready to pull the trigger and called my local dealer's parts department. He told me my part was "H" and quoted me $1,300 for it. I mentioned "G" and he said something along the lines of "Don't know what "G" is but my system says you need "H"."

So before I pulled the trigger online, I just wanted to confirm here. I can just buy "G", insert my existing bulbs into it, and I'm good to go...right? Am I missing anything?

Thanks all!

There are online Ford part’s dealers that have a part’s look-up system using your unique VIN, to determine the correct part.

One site is FordPartsGiant.com.

You enter your car’s VIN, then search for the part you are looking for. The site determines which part is correct (when there are several different ones such as tail lamps).

I am not connected to this site - but have used it to order parts for my Ford.

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score
There are online Ford part’s dealers that have a part’s look-up system using your unique VIN, to determine the correct part.

One site is FordPartsGiant.com.

You enter your car’s VIN, then search for the part you are looking for. The site determines which part is correct (when there are several different ones such as tail lamps).

I am not connected to this site - but have used it to order parts for my Ford.
Thanks for that. I've used a few of the part look-ups and all of them say that both "G" and "H" fit my vehicle. And, unfortunately, the description/images are often identical. The only difference I've found is that some sites list the G as "w/out LED" so my main question is whether or not I can take my existing "guts" and put it into the "G" assembly or if I need to buy the "H" with the LEDs...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I've used a few of the part look-ups and all of them say that both "G" and "H" fit my vehicle. And, unfortunately, the description/images are often identical. The only difference I've found is that some sites list the G as "w/out LED" so my main question is whether or not I can take my existing "guts" and put it into the "G" assembly or if I need to buy the "H" with the LEDs...

Here is a link to the “G” assembly, with a photo of the back: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genuine-OE-Ford-Tail-Lamp-Assembly-JL1Z-13405-G/400557847

Maybe the photo could help you determine if your plan will work?

A search under the “G” and “H” assemblies revealed several sites with photos of the part (not a drawing).

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tail lights are sealed housings, for the LED version. The cheaper version is for those who have the standard incandescent bulbs. You cannot pull the guts out of the LED housing. Your dealer’s parts guy was correct in telling you that only the one part number was correct for your vehicle.

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score
The tail lights are sealed housings, for the LED version. The cheaper version is for those who have the standard incandescent bulbs. You cannot pull the guts out of the LED housing. Your dealer’s parts guy was correct in telling you that only the one part number was correct for your vehicle.
This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!