2018 Transmission Clunking/slamming in gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Issues are getting progressively worse. The car now misses shifts between 2-3. The horrible clunk is back when downshifting into 8th or 3rd. The shifts are almost all rough and sometimes the car gets stuck in neutral for a second between gears and the engine revs. I plan on (respectfully) demanding Ford either replace the transmission or buy-back the car.

Jerald Cook

Reaction score
I took my 2020 into the dealership yesterday and was told that all the transmission issues I was experiencing was typical for the 10R80. The service advisor acknowledged the issues and said he has 2015 F-150 with the 10R80, has the same issues, and that he won't buy another vehicle with that transmission until the issue is fixed. I asked about Mustangs and GM vehicles with the 10R80 and he said they all have the same issues.

The dealer did a reset on the transmission, updated the software, and sent me on my way. I've already experience a mild "clunk" on a 10-8 downshift since the update. I'll give it some time and see if it improves.

Complete list of issues I presented to the service advisor:
  • 10-8 downshifts. Mostly around 50 mph at low RPMs, but a few times on the highway as well. EXTREMELY loud/harsh “clunk”.
  • Severe “clunks” when shifting from P to D. Very harsh and very loud on occasion, almost feels like you’ve been rear-ended.
  • Occasional jerky downshifting when coming to a stop or slowing down. Almost feels like downshifting with a manual transmission, except the downshifts feels like it’s working against braking.
  • After slowing down and getting back on the throttle, clunks/shift issues/gear hunting after back on throttle when downshifting into 3rd.
  • Occasional minor lurching when shifting from P to D.
  • Occasionally after startup and pulling away when transmission is cold, transmission shifts 1000 rpm higher than normal. Feels almost like a CVT. Torque converter not locking up?
  • 3rd to 5th upshift has occasional hesitation (1-2 second delay in the shift).

Last edited:

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my 2020 into the dealership yesterday and was told that all the transmission issues I was experiencing was typical for the 10R80. The service advisor acknowledged the issues and said he has 2015 F-150 with the 10R80, has the same issues, and that he won't buy another vehicle with that transmission until the issue is fixed. I asked about Mustangs and GM vehicles with the 10R80 and he said they all have the same issues.

The dealer did a reset on the transmission, updated the software, and sent me on my way. I've already experience a mild "clunk" on a 10-8 downshift since the update. I'll give it some time and see if it improves.

• 10-8 downshifts. Mostly around 50 mph at low RPMs, but a few times on the highway as well. EXTREMELY loud/harsh “clunk”.
  • Severe “clunks” when shifting from P to D. Very harsh and very loud on occasion, almost feels like you’ve been rear-ended.
  • Occasional jerky downshifting when coming to a stop or slowing down. Almost feels like downshifting with a manual transmission, except the downshifts feels like it’s working against braking.
  • After slowing down and getting back on the throttle, clunks/shift issues/gear hunting after back on throttle when downshifting into 3rd.
  • Occasionally after startup and pulling away when transmission is cold, transmission shifts 1000 rpm higher than normal. Feels almost like a CVT. Torque converting not locking up?
A lot of the same issues I am having. My 9-10 shift hits like a shift kit, I can replicate it like clock work. This is after the 2 most current Field Service reflashes.

Ford has no idea what they are doing with this transmission at this point. As a last ditch effort for me to keep this thing I MIGHT turn to 5 star tuning. My neighbor has an F150 with a lot of the same issues and just did a 5 star tune/intercooler and he said its as smooth as can be now.

Reaction score

• Occasionally after startup and pulling away when transmission is cold, transmission shifts 1000 rpm higher than normal. Feels almost like a CVT. Torque converting not locking up?
WOW!! I could literally copy and paste that entire list and take it to the service center. It would be 100% accurate in our case too. And they’ve even already done the “software fix”. I’ll be asking for a new updated transmission (apparently the 2022 F-150s are much improved) or a buy back. I cannot go the lemon route due to mileage and TX state law. I will simply request Ford buy back the car. It’s trash.

JDorn

Reaction score
I would like some advice here. I've been researching this issue for the past month while our 2018 Expedition sat in the lot at ford. We had the Cam Phasers replaced under the extended warranty partial coverage. Leading up to this, we were experiencing transmission issues.

These included:
- Hard shift from 2-3, and other random upshifting
- No acceleration from a dead stop...then clunk and go.
- Occasionally would not down shift from 7th gear to 1st when coming to a stop. Would just remain in 7th. I would have to shift it to park or Neutral to get it to go back to 1st.

Ford verified concerns. Pulled a sample of transmission fluid and said it was dirty. Mind you, we had the transmission serviced by a qualified mechanic when this problem began with a trans flush and new trans filter about 300 miles prior to going to ford. Our mechanic said the fluid was clean and no metal shavings. Nothing out of the ordinary and he too thought it was the throttle body.

Multiple mechanics mentioned throttle body issues. Ford said they're not showing any issues with it. Received call today after cam phasers were fixed and were working on transmission and that it has suffered a "catastrophic failure" with the problems described above and was sending in a claim to ford for assistance with financial support.

Is this something I need a second opinion on. They are saying it needs a total transmission replacement and very hesitant of dealers in our area.