2018 Transmission Clunking/slamming in gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirty Evo

Reaction score
Picked mine up from dealer yesterday. After 2weeks. My paperwork is at home and I will post the details later but the general rundown:
Transmission pulled and out on bench. When taken apart they discovered that a bushing (I have to look at report to get name which bushing) had been installed backwards in the factory. That cause it to block a certain pathway / flow for transmission fluid under some conditions. Result being restricted cooling and lubrication which resulted in hot spotting and premature wear on multiple Internal transmission parts (again specifics are in the write up I just don’t have it with me). All damaged items replaced and transmission re-assembled correctly and a flush and something else then bench tested the installed and road tested.

No symptoms now. About $5k in work (all covered under warranty). Seems better than new.

Yikes. Assembled wrong from the factory? Uggh. Apparently quality is not job 1. Probably was the Friday afternoon shift before a 3 day weekend. Just bad luck. I dunno. Weird

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Picked mine up from dealer yesterday. After 2weeks. My paperwork is at home and I will post the details later but the general rundown:
Transmission pulled and out on bench. When taken apart they discovered that a bushing (I have to look at report to get name which bushing) had been installed backwards in the factory. That cause it to block a certain pathway / flow for transmission fluid under some conditions. Result being restricted cooling and lubrication which resulted in hot spotting and premature wear on multiple Internal transmission parts (again specifics are in the write up I just don’t have it with me). All damaged items replaced and transmission re-assembled correctly and a flush and something else then bench tested the installed and road tested.

No symptoms now. About $5k in work (all covered under warranty). Seems better than new.

Yikes. Assembled wrong from the factory? Uggh. Apparently quality is not job 1. Probably was the Friday afternoon shift before a 3 day weekend. Just bad luck. I dunno. Weird
I had only one transmission fail. When I took it in, the dealer service manager, typed in the VIN. He started laughing. I asked him 'what is so funny'? He said the transmission was fixed once under warranty, by the last owner and by them. Needless to say, he handed me keys to a loaner. I was at 35k, only 1000mi left on the warranty. I would get rid or that Expedition, before that $5000 repair, shows up on a carfax.

TheSpecialMan

Reaction score
I have a 18 plat expy, 2WD with about 46,000 miles. Noticed the transmission hanging between gears and slamming into the next, mostly around the 4th gear. Eventually got the wrench icon on the dash with a message on FordPass saying "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power." I took it to my local dealer who advised that as they have the only transmission technician in the metro area and he is very backed up it could be awhile before he gets to it. No loaners available. So two weeks in, the tech still hadn't gotten to it and I needed a vehicle so I took it back but the problem got worse. I spoke to a manager and finally got a loaner so I brought it back in. 4 more weeks go by with me calling/texting about every other day until last week they finally tell me the tech looked at my vehicle but now needs to tear the transmission down to see what is broken and they'll get back to me once he's done that and know what parts are needed. Still waiting.
It's hard not to come to the conclusion that Ford will make any type of warranty repair as painful as possible so that I'll just leave and get it repaired somewhere else out of my pocket.
And that assumes this will even end up being covered under the powertrain warranty as I didn't purchase an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Sorry for the rant but I think I'm going back to Chevy after this one.

Tom Brennan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2019’s are an better in this regard? I am getting some serious clunking going on when shifting is happening, seems to be worse in stop and go traffic.

texevora

Reaction score
So apparently this is a much more common issue than I thought. Not sure how i missed this thread when I created a separate one on the same issue earlier this week (https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/transmission-popping-out-of-gear.48342/#post-444636).

When I dropped my car at the local dealership yesterday, he said they had 3 others with the exact same issue in. My coworker who also owns a 2019 Expedition said his just started doing the same thing as well, with similar mileage (low 40s).

Hope this is is handled quickly. Given that this seems like a pretty common (and major) issue, and the prevalence of cam phaser issues, I have to think warranty claims on this generation of Expeditions is costing Ford a pretty penny.

Reaction score
I thought I’d come and join the fun. Our 2020 has almost 30,000 miles and for about the past year we have had a horrible clunk (like a sledge hammer hitting the floor under the truck) occasionally when downshifting into 8th. We also get it in third as well. Often times in the morning shifting from park to drive shakes the entire truck like someone rear ended us. It sounds like I should get this into the dealer when they have a loaner available…

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought I’d come and join the fun. Our 2020 has almost 30,000 miles and for about the past year we have had a horrible clunk (like a sledge hammer hitting the floor under the truck) occasionally when downshifting into 8th. We also get it in third as well. Often times in the morning shifting from park to drive shakes the entire truck like someone rear ended us. It sounds like I should get this into the dealer when they have a loaner available…
Yes, CIATX, that is not normal behavior for the 10R80. The false neutral gear slam on downshift is really ******* u-joints. Time to schedule with your dealership.

mightyexpy

Reaction score
I have a 2019 AWD with 24k miles.
Started to notice in the morning shifting into reverse it clunks very hard, but all other gears seem fine. Is this a sign of worse things to come?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357