2018 Transmission Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pw1981

Reaction score
My 2018 Limited (94k miles) is experiencing some transmission troubles. It started a few thousand miles ago with the well-known 5th/6th gear shudders. Now my transmission is running hot and does not shift smoothly, even with minimal driving. I don't seem to be getting full power when accelerating and it's struggling with accelerating on an incline. I am seeing transmission temps in the 240's, which is higher than normal for the 10R80.

I am assuming the transmission is toast. I can't wait for the delays and backorders I am sure to be experiencing. At least my Ford ESP will definitely pay for itself with this one ‍♂️

What is the current delay for a replacement 10R80 transmission or rebuild kit? I know they were super delayed last year, but I am hoping that outlook has improved.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do u tow at all?

I believe everything is still anlong wait with Ford

bleay

Reaction score
In January it took about 3 weeks to get the parts to rebuild, valve body, final drive, etc. the trans failed on the way home from the dealership.

Now they are replacing the whole transmission and it’s been almost 3 weeks since they ordered the transmission.

hapEcat

Reaction score
Our 2017 EL Limited 4x4 HD towing with 6r80 trans, also had the shudders in 4th, 5th, and 6th, when any torque was applied.
Local dealer recommended a "trans flush" for $290, which is not covered under Ford Premium, nor Ford's maintenance agreement.
This Flush was successful, and trans shifts up and down with no more shudders.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Limited (94k miles) is experiencing some transmission troubles. It started a few thousand miles ago with the well-known 5th/6th gear shudders. Now my transmission is running hot and does not shift smoothly, even with minimal driving. I don't seem to be getting full power when accelerating and it's struggling with accelerating on an incline. I am seeing transmission temps in the 240's, which is higher than normal for the 10R80.

I am assuming the transmission is toast. I can't wait for the delays and backorders I am sure to be experiencing. At least my Ford ESP will definitely pay for itself with this one ‍♂️

What is the current delay for a replacement 10R80 transmission or rebuild kit? I know they were super delayed last year, but I am hoping that outlook has improved.
My 18 has been in the shop for 1 month waiting on trans parts. No ETA as of yet. Waiting on the drum now. Good luck! Make sure you have extended rental coverage on your ESP.

DukeandDarla

Reaction score
My 18’ started making a whining almost toy like sound around 30mph. Thankfully it was still under warranty. When we brought it in they tried to reprogram it for about a month. Finally they said they were putting a used tranny in. Took months to get it in. Finally installed then they said rebuilt tranny was bad. Then had to wait for new tranny and install. All in all they had my truck for about 7/8 months. Thankfully they gave us a F-150 in the meantime… but still sucks not having your own vehicle that you’re paying for. Good luck….

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 18’ started making a whining almost toy like sound around 30mph. Thankfully it was still under warranty. When we brought it in they tried to reprogram it for about a month. Finally they said they were putting a used tranny in. Took months to get it in. Finally installed then they said rebuilt tranny was bad. Then had to wait for new tranny and install. All in all they had my truck for about 7/8 months. Thankfully they gave us a F-150 in the meantime… but still sucks not having your own vehicle that you’re paying for. Good luck….
How did u get them to let u have a vehicle to use?

DukeandDarla

Reaction score
We bought our Expy from this dealer… and had to be the “squeaky wheel”… it was getting stuck in 3rd on 55 mph roads and I have two little kids so that was unacceptable for me. We had to call Ford motor company and complain because the dealer was ignoring our calls. My oldest needs to be driven to school and we lives 25 mins from grocery stores so not having a vehicle would be impossible. That being said no other dealer was willing to give us a vehicle. (The one we bought it from was 45 mins away). I think the only reason they did it was because we bought it from them. They were pulling new inventory as loaners because they had no used inventory.