2018 vs 2021 Cooled Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman2021

Reaction score
I had a 2021 Ford Expedition Limited with the cooled seats the past few week as a rental. The cooled seats felt like A/C was blowing from both the top and bottom of my seat and it was amazing! We loved the Expedition so much that we are now wanting to trade in our 2014 Ford Flex for a 2018 Expedition Platinum. The cooled seats in my Flex are a joke and you can’t feel them at all. My question is this: do the 2018 expeditions have the same cooled seats as the 2021?

Thanks for your help!

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, MY18-current have the cooled seats if you have the equipment package that includes them. I believe it’s XLT 202A equipped & higher trims (Lmd, Plati).

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there is a filter that has to be changed on the cooled seats. Not sure if the Expedition has that, I think the Flex does. My (sold now) 2010 EB Flex LTD did not have cooled seats...

OP
OP
F

fordman2021

Reaction score
I think there is a filter that has to be changed on the cooled seats. Not sure if the Expedition has that, I think the Flex does. My (sold now) 2010 EB Flex LTD did not have cooled seats...

I took off the filter hoping that would help them blow better but it didn’t help at all. Even when I did feel them, it’s just like a slight warm breeze. In the 2021 expedition I drove, it was like air from the AC was blowing. It was amazing.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Careful. Some trims like my XLT with the 202a package just have the blowers to blow ambient cabin air out of the seats while the fancier trims actually blow cooled air.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe only the 3rd gens have actual air conditioned seats, they have twin peltier blower units in the seat back and bottom. The 18 and above are just air blowers with no cooling function from what a dealer tech told me. As long as they move a lot of air either works.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone else's have an annoying hum / drone on speed 3, but not on speed 1 and 2? Wondering if I should get it looked at.