2019 Exp Max vs Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
My neighbor just purchased a new suburban Premier and we recently went for a drive through the hills of the Shenandoah's. Other than the obvious cosmetic differences with the technology, the three huge differences for me were: (1) the suburban had more cargo space (not even close); the engine pickup (The v8 in the Chevy pins you to the seat when you stomp on it); and (3) the ride. (The suspension felt more solid in the mountain roads and recovered quicker from body lean).

I have ordered and received my Hellwig sway bars to help with the body roll and I am giving some thought to a tune.

stavesacre03

Reaction score
Agree that it's unlikely that the Sequoia will be offered in 2 separate wheel bases. However, the Tundra is offered this year in a crew cab with 6.5' box, which is a longer wheelbase than was offered on the prior generation. Maybe there's still a chance for a Sequoia Max.
Even if they leave it a "regular" Sequoia, if they can add another 10 square feet of cargo space behind the third row, I could make that leap. The current 18.9 is so meager. The new Tahoe managed to get it to 25.5 which is more liveable.

JacobLeverett

Reaction score
We had a 2010 Suburban and were about to buy another until we accidentally rented a Ford Expedition (rental reservation was Suburban or comparable... we were thinking a Suburban or Yukon XL. They gave us a 2021 Expedition Max) and it was fantastic, two months later we just picked up our own Expedition Max. Neither of them have over 50k miles, but I have to say the Expedition was leaps and bounds nicer than our 2010 Suburban and honestly I even like the 2019 Expedition we bought over the 2021 comparable Suburbans. Like we were at the Chevy dealership ready to pull the trigger on a new one, but walked away and I’m so glad we did and ended up in the Expedition. My wife rode in the 3rd row with our 6month old (his car seat fit perfectly back there) and she said it was just as comfortable as the middle row of the Chevy’s. Even had all the creature comforts of the middle row with a few USB plugs, plenty of cup holders and plenty of leg room. She’s 5’9” so not super short either. I’m also not too worried about reliability as we’ve never kept a vehicle over 150k miles... I hate dealing with the little weird things that seem to start breaking after that point... not quite worth fixing and just irritating enough to not fix haha.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My neighbor just purchased a new suburban Premier and we recently went for a drive through the hills of the Shenandoah's. Other than the obvious cosmetic differences with the technology, the three huge differences for me were: (1) the suburban had more cargo space (not even close); the engine pickup (The v8 in the Chevy pins you to the seat when you stomp on it); and (3) the ride. (The suspension felt more solid in the mountain roads and recovered quicker from body lean).

I have ordered and received my Hellwig sway bars to help with the body roll and I am giving some thought to a tune.
Had to be the 6.2, because the 5.3 can't get out of its own way. 6.2 once up to speed is fairly quick, but off the line the Expedition has it. But a tune on the Expedition, and tune for tune, the 6.2 cannot compete. Period.

PlatiMaxvsSuburbanHighCountry.png

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
I still prefer my Expedition since I take long trips with adults and the read seat has room enough for my 5'9" brother to be comfortable back there for hours. We now use a skybox for those trips when we overpack.

The only real complaint we have with the Expy is the rocking which I am hoping the sway bars will remedy. On our last long trip everyone complained of feeling like they were rocking back and forth while they were in bed after being in the vehicle for 15 hours.