2019 Expedition getting hot but yet to overheat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gauge temperature started popping up 228* -230* after they did a cam phaser replacement around 30k miles.
It’s been happening for the past 15k miles.
It starts lugging on long grades, then when it down shifts it cools off.
My husband has ran it in tow/haul mode and it helped some but still gets hot.
No lights have came on but the temperature gauge has gotten up to 241* at times. Also, he said the intercooler louvers were jumping all over the place.
My husbands work truck has the same engine and transmission as my expedition and while towing his truck’s transmission temp never gets over 200*.
My transmission temp stays between 215- 220.

The ford dealership that I took it to immediately after it started happening said that I was out of coolant.

The dealership I bought it claimed that there was no way I was out. Then has continued to belittle me about my car. We are the kind of ppl that takes care and maintains our vehicles. I noticed it getting hot and immediately quit driving it til I was able to get to dealership. The dealership we bought it at said to ignore my dash. They wanted to take the guage off the screen and I said first off, you can’t. Because its one of the four main gauges in my car. Secondly, if nothing is wrong with my car then they would have made the temp a permanent dash setting and not a setting to alert you if something was wrong.

After driving to town and back and my car is sitting in driveway my fan kicks on. It sounds like a huge fan!!!

I am afraid that I am going to reach the end of my warranty and then my car is going to die bc it’s been running hot for the past 15k miles. Even though I have had multiple appts at dealership about it and they pretty much laugh in my face snd say that I won’t be able til they do find a problem. It’s an expensive car. I love it. We put down our family dog in the back of it. I don’t want to get rid of it. I just want it fixed!

They said that the cam phaser replacement has nothing to do with my “problem”.
Well, if that was the case then why wasn’t it acting like this before you did the detailed work to my engine.

I am about to blow a gasket on someone about my car. I called Ford Corp. They told me to take it to a different dealership bc it def didn’t sound like a normal operating system. So, it’s been at another dealership all week. They called yesterday and said they couldn’t get it to replicate what I said it was doing!!!!!!!! So, its ready for pick up. I said, you have got to be kidding me. I even took videos of my dash driving there and showed them what was happening. I feel like the dealerships don’t want to put out the money or effort to back their product. So, any suggestions on what is causing this, would be great!
I had the same exact problem. It would even do it on a 40 degree day at highway speeds and the heat on! After being sure I had no coolant leaks, radiator shutters were opening and coolant system was working, I pulled the thermostat and could see marks that it was binding on its shaft. FordBossMe on YouTube has an exact video showing that Ford has an updated T stat for this problem.

1650076789154.jpeg

arthurqian2003

Reaction score
2018 Ford Expedition Limited with HD Tow package.
Update my case: Ford dealer initially change a new active grill shutter and told me it is fixed. Unfortunately it is not. Then they replace the thermostat and fix the issue.