2019 Expedition Limited - Dreaded wrench light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrissbu

Reaction score
We got our Expedition about a week and a half ago now, and things looked great on the test drive, and the carfax showed that the car had been religiously maintained. But the dealer delivered it to our house, and after hooking up the Ford app, we got a notice in the app of a powertrain malfunction. There was nothing on the dash of the truck itself, and it seemed to drive fine, and after a couple of days the notice disappeared in the app. But today we went out for a short ride, and after about 3 or 4 miles on the highway, we got a "Check Manual" warning, along with "Pre-collision unavailable" and "Drive mode unavailable" warnings, with the yellow wrench. The truck drove pretty erratically at that point, feeling like it was misfiring and just struggling to run smoothly in general. I turned it off for a minute, and upon restarting it, the warnings came back. We made a stop on the way back home, and came back about 20 minutes later, and upon restarting, no warnings or messages at all, and nothing showing up in the app.

I have an OBD reader coming tomorrow, so that I can pull the codes and see what's going on, as some quick googling was more or less inconclusive :( I'm hoping that it's nothing significant.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We got our Expedition about a week and a half ago now, and things looked great on the test drive, and the carfax showed that the car had been religiously maintained. But the dealer delivered it to our house, and after hooking up the Ford app, we got a notice in the app of a powertrain malfunction. There was nothing on the dash of the truck itself, and it seemed to drive fine, and after a couple of days the notice disappeared in the app. But today we went out for a short ride, and after about 3 or 4 miles on the highway, we got a "Check Manual" warning, along with "Pre-collision unavailable" and "Drive mode unavailable" warnings, with the yellow wrench. The truck drove pretty erratically at that point, feeling like it was misfiring and just struggling to run smoothly in general. I turned it off for a minute, and upon restarting it, the warnings came back. We made a stop on the way back home, and came back about 20 minutes later, and upon restarting, no warnings or messages at all, and nothing showing up in the app.

I have an OBD reader coming tomorrow, so that I can pull the codes and see what's going on, as some quick googling was more or less inconclusive :( I'm hoping that it's nothing significant.

Mileage?

The vehicle should have a 60,000 miles - 5 year (no deductible) power train warranty.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
64k miles, so it's out of the factory powertrain warranty. The dealer provided a 100k powertrain warranty, but they're about 2 1/2 hours away, so we're trying to at least narrow down that it's even something that'll be covered under the warranty before making the drive down (I know, when the truck is explicitly throwing a "powertrain issue" warning, that should be a pretty clear sign, but I think we all know that those warranties have enormous loopholes in them).

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Id get your money back now while u can.

The selling dealer cleared the codes before selling. But the a
APP had not updated to being cleared yet. Smells fishy to me

Headache incoming

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Id get your money back now while u can.

The selling dealer cleared the codes before selling. But the a
APP had not updated to being cleared yet. Smells fishy to me

Headache incoming
Refund isn't really an option :(

I got a reader and hooked it up with Forscan last night. No DTC in the PCM. There were a handful of other codes stored, which I'm still working through and wrapping my head around, but nothing that immediately stood out to me. I do wish the DTCs had timestamps on when they were stored :(

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Looking through the handful of stored codes, the one common thread is "lost communication" between systems...anyone else able to find some common threads there outside of a possible issue with CANBUS?

IPMA (These look to have occurred over a couple of different days, based on the freeze frame data)
Code: U0418 - Invalid Data Received from Brake System Control Module 'A'
Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM A
Code: U0121 - Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module 'A'
Code: U0103 - Lost Communication With Gear Shift Control Module A
Code: U0100 - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM A

IPC
Code: U0159 - Lost Communication With Parking Assist Control Module A
Code: U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module
Code: U0136 - Lost Communication With Differential Control Module - Rear
Code: U0121 - Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module 'A'

ACM
Code: U0257 - Lost Communication With Front Controls / Display Interface Module

TCU

ABS
Code: U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus A Off

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking through the handful of stored codes, the one common thread is "lost communication" between systems...anyone else able to find some common threads there outside of a possible issue with CANBUS?

IPMA (These look to have occurred over a couple of different days, based on the freeze frame data)
Code: U0418 - Invalid Data Received from Brake System Control Module 'A'
Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM A
Code: U0103 - Lost Communication With Gear Shift Control Module A

IPC
Code: U0159 - Lost Communication With Parking Assist Control Module A
Code: U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module
Code: U0136 - Lost Communication With Differential Control Module - Rear

ACM
Code: U0257 - Lost Communication With Front Controls / Display Interface Module

TCU

ABS
Code: U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus A Off

Was the engine battery replaced prior to your purchase - it does the battery seem to be the original?

I’d bet most of the codes are a result of a weak battery and/or corroded terminal connectors.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was it from a state that has recently had flooding issues? Could be the car was flooded and ruined the electrical system

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the engine battery replaced prior to your purchase - it does the battery seem to be the original?

I’d bet most of the codes are a result of a weak battery and/or corroded terminal connectors.
This was my first though as well. Bad battery or bad grounds

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Battery appears to be original, is a FoMoCo labelled battery. And it's spent it's life in the Pittsburgh area, so I don't think it's a flood damaged vehicle. The Carfax showed a single owner who had the car serviced almost religiously, which is one of the reasons we bought it.

The terminals look perfect, still shiny. The engine compartment itself is really clean. The only thing that stands out is that there's an aftermarket cold air intake, which we didn't notice before we bought it. Forscan also didn't recognize the truck when we hooked it up, making me wonder if it may have been tuned, but I haven't seen any confirmation that someone modified the ECU yet.

But I was wondering if maybe the battery had died at some point. I'm debating clearing the codes (now that I have a copy) and seeing if any pop back up.