2019 Expedition Limited - Dreaded wrench light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Chrissbu - any resolution to this?? My 2018 max platinum w 48k miles just had the identical behavior/messages on the console tonight. Ughh I've had a ton of problems with this vehicle. I'm also in Pittsburgh, ironically! An initial restart and the messages came right back and still it was in limp mode. After another restart it seems the wrench is gone and it's not in limp mode, but the check engine light is on (assuming DTCs are stored...I'll have to read them out).

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2021 Explorer shuts things off all the time because my wife has only driven short trips. Currently the mileage is 5k+ after 2.5 years.
If we go on an interstate trip, lane assist, automatic shutoff, etc. start working again. Dealer said it is normal due to battery drain shutting features off.

bobward757

Reaction score
Did you get the Ford warranty or a third party? Ford will sell you the original bumper to bumper up to 125K with $100 deductible. It's saved me thousands on the little annoyances that eat labor time quickly.

Reaction score
Did you get the Ford warranty or a third party? Ford will sell you the original bumper to bumper up to 125K with $100 deductible. It's saved me thousands on the little annoyances that eat labor time quickly.

I was considering purchasing the extended Ford warranty for my '18 MAX Platinum, which has been a total rolling problem generator. Latest is a leaking water pump and the rear AC evap is leaking refrigerant. But the CSP warranty is super expensive. $100 deductible makes the CSP standard $5832 over 36 months. The "CSP ultimate" is $7848 over 36 mo with a $100 deductible. It's so expensive that I'm not sure it's worth it - although, if mine keeps up with having major problems at the rate I'm going, I'd be saving money in the long run! I wonder how much of a hassle it is to get things approved/covered? I can't find a comprehensive list of items - only vague high level items such as what they show on their Ford Protect website about the CSP program. Not sure what to do. I'm replacing the water pump myself this weekend.