2019 Failed Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

platinumexpy

Reaction score
Yeah Ford likes to scam people. I had the cam phasers replaced. They charged me full price for repairs ($3500) because I had over 90k miles on my '18 navigator. And this is with the cam phaser recall. No warranty but still messed up they charge a recall depending how much mileage you vehicle has when there is no warranty.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah Ford likes to scam people. I had the cam phasers replaced. They charged me full price for repairs ($3500) because I had over 90k miles on my '18 navigator. And this is with the cam phaser recall. No warranty but still messed up they charge a recall depending how much mileage you vehicle has when there is no warranty.
There has been no recall on the cam phasers. There have been technical service bulletins (TSB) issued on them. If the phasers were replaced under the 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty the new units would have additional year and mileage coverage included on them. there are numerous threads on this issue and how ford is addressing it in their service TSBs, use the search function here to find threads on it and use google as it's been documented in the F150 forums as well.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phaser replacement was a customer satisfaction program not a recall which is safety related. Right or wrong their stance is it doesn't affect reliability or safety. The memo explaining the program is located on this forum.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have a question. My 2020 has been doing this since I got it with 12k miles. Shifts hard from 4-5 at low rpm. Literally you can hear the bang underneath followed by a thud that you can feel reverberate through the chassis. Does this almost all of the time when driving about 25mph under slow acceleration. If accelerating quickly, say from a stop light, then it’s pretty well behaved. I’m worried that it’s going to get worse. I’m out of warranty. Would an aftermarket TCU flash fix this issue or this transmission fubared?

Also…

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2023 F-150 started doing the 4-5 shift thud at about 2,000 miles. Now at 9,000 miles it has disappeared and went back to normal with no intervention.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your vehicle is still under the bumper to bumper warranty and you are experiencing radical behavior, you can request a tranny firmware update. My 2021 Explorer with 9000 miles on it was very jerky, shifting weird, etc. I went in for an interior warranty repair and asked for a complete firmware update and now it shifts very smooth. My gas mileage went up as well.
I know the OP's message was referring to an older vehicle. If still under the powertrain warranty, you would be responsible for the deductible and they would either replace it or send it out for a rebuilt, whichever is cheaper. Sometimes, depending on who does it, rebuilds are better.