2019 Ford Expedition Max Limited - Misfire, Rough Idle, dealer can't seem to fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jringeisen

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm stumped. I have a 2019 Ford Expedition Max with 87,000 miles. I live in Ewa Beach, HI and anytime I drive my vehicle to the north shore, about 25 miles my vehicle starts to misfire, run really rough, and sometimes stall. All I have to do is turn it off for a few minutes and the issue goes away. I can drive east toward Honolulu and back and don't get the same issue so I'm thinking it might be the change in elevation maybe?

I took it to the dealer and they said I needed new ignition coils, spark plugs, and intake gasket which cost $1,800! So we did the service, I drove to the North Shore, and same issue so I took it back to the dealer. This time they said I needed new cam phasers and they would credit the previous service to this service. Mind you, I had my cam phasers replaced right before my warranty expired. This service with the credit was $2,800. I get the vehicle back and guess what, the issue is still there. Anytime I drive to the North Shore I get a misfire, my vehicle runs rough, and when I turn it off and back on it goes away. So I'm currently $4,600 in the whole and the issue hasn't been fixed. I'm skeptical to take it back as they don't seem to know what they are doing.

The codes that I'm getting are as follows: P0025, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0019, P0300

My gut is telling me that this is a ECU issue, but I'm not certain as I'm not a certified mechanic. If I stay local to my house the misfire never happens. It's really weird, any suggestions or help would be awesome!

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The P0025 and P0019 are related to variable valve timing on the driver’s side bank. Other codes are misfires due to the issues with cam timing.

An issue like this should be very easy to diagnose with a proper scan tool.

However, if the cam phasers have been replaced and the engine runs smooth otherwise, I would look at the VCT solenoids (the only remaining complement in the system). You can easily monitor their operation with a good scan tool.

comforta

Reaction score
Soliyou is correct!!!!!!! driver side solenoids are the issue. passenger side is starved for oil by the failing drivers side vct solenoid. get all on the drivers bank replaced should clear your issue.