2019 Max (No HD Tow Package) Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are how much weight you can put on the hitch receiver itself, depending on type of hitch used, the higher numbers of you’re using a weight distribution hitch (common for travel trailers, very rarely used for boat trailers). It’s important because some trailers are more tongue heavy than others. For example, my 6000lb travel trailer has a tongue weight of about 900lbs. The next larger trailer from my manufacturer is only about 7700lbs GVWR (well within the 9000lb limit for my Expy) but with a tongue weight of ~1200lbs, too much for the Expedition’s receiver.

BrianM

Reaction score
As mentioned by shane_th_ee above, that table only indicates how much weight you can put on the hitch receiver itself. Whether you order the HD Tow Package or not, you get the same hitch receiver. The HD Tow package adds the other components necessary to increase tow rating, like 3.73 rear axle ratio, high capacity cooling, etc. If you don't have the HD Tow package, your capacity is limited by the "Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight" table above, to 6300 lbs.

OP
OP
RBArthur82

RBArthur82

Reaction score
As mentioned by shane_th_ee above, that table only indicates how much weight you can put on the hitch receiver itself. Whether you order the HD Tow Package or not, you get the same hitch receiver. The HD Tow package adds the other components necessary to increase tow rating, like 3.73 rear axle ratio, high capacity cooling, etc. If you don't have the HD Tow package, your capacity is limited by the "Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight" table above, to 6300 lbs.
Ok, so that table is telling me that my Non -HD Tow Expedition with a weight distribution hitch would have a maximum tongue weight of up to 900 lbs but only 600 without (columns 2 & 4)? Then what are columns 1 and 3? I get that the tow capacity for the hd tow package are 9,300 and 9,000 respectively for the expedition and expedition max. Just not quite following what this table is communicating.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so that table is telling me that my Non -HD Tow Expedition with a weight distribution hitch would have a maximum tongue weight of up to 900 lbs but only 600 without (columns 2 & 4)? Then what are columns 1 and 3? I get that the tow capacity for the hd tow package are 9,300 and 9,000 respectively for the expedition and expedition max. Just not quite following what this table is communicating.
It’s communicating that if you want to tow the hypothetical 9300lbs, you need a WDH and a tongue weight of no more than 930lbs. Think of it as yet more fine print explaining yet one more thing that has to be just right to pull the 9300lb trailer they advertised.

BrianM

Reaction score
To put it simply, the top table (Trailer Towing Selector) tells you the towing capacity for the VEHICLE. The lower table (Hitch Receiver Weight Capacity) tells you the weight capacities of the RECEIVER only, the square tube and frame on the back of the vehicle, nothing else. You have to use both tables. In your case, your trailer towing capacity will always be limited by the VEHICLE's towing capacity (6300 lbs). The RECEIVER, on the other hand, has capability for 900 lbs tongue weight (with W/D hitch). The example given by shane_th-ee in his first response above is a good explanation of why receiver capacity matters.

OP
OP
RBArthur82

RBArthur82

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. It seems they could have communicated that in a less confusing manner than that table lol