2019 Model actual MPG way lower than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S13ka24de

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been driving my 2019 limited for 7000 miles now. 1/3 of the time city 2/3 highway. I drive normal and calm but it is showing me am only doing 14.7 MPG. Way lower than fords "up to"17city20highway MPG as they advertising. Any idea why? I heard ford is under investigation for emissions issue.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Have you got it in 4WD or 2WD? Even though it is “intelligent” the 4WD kicks power through the front very frequently which will hurt economy.

I drive in 4WD all the time and am getting about 16 on average which I accept as a penalty for using 4WD

Remember manufacturers set these numbers in nearly perfect conditions, 2WD, no HVAC on, no wipers, etc etc, so it’s often hard to replicate in real world driving

Mark

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were doing lots of city I’d say that’s ok but it’s not if you are mostly highway. My last 5.4L averaged 15-16 MPG with an even mix so something isn’t right there

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I average 17.7 around town. 2 things I believe contribute to that 1. I installed an auto stop eliminator which eliminates the most useless device ever invented. 2. I run 93 octane fuel. Dyno tests of these engines show a gain of between 18 and 22 horsepower over 89 octane.the more horsepower you have the less throttle you need to maintain your speed.
I have added a vortec cold air system bUT my mileage was before that addition.

mpc11

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been driving my 2019 limited for 7000 miles now. 1/3 of the time city 2/3 highway. I drive normal and calm but it is showing me am only doing 14.7 MPG. Way lower than fords "up to"17city20highway MPG as they advertising. Any idea why? I heard ford is under investigation for emissions issue.
When is the 14.7 from? Meaning, from the trip computer from day 1? Is it more recent average from last couple thousand miles? Still seems pretty low overall even if factoring in break in period and even if running 87..

I only use 87 octane and have 6,500 miles. Trip 1 is from the day I picked it up my 2018 w/ 7 miles back in early December. It currently shows 17.8. Trip 2 that I reset and now shows about 2,000 miles is at 19.1 mpg average. I'm probably opposite you and more like 2/3 city vs 1/3 highway. This is also in Michigan w/ some pretty cold weather bringing the average down.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run mine back and forth from home to work on short trips and I took it on a hour drive, and my average mpg on the computer says 19.8 right now. This is only my first tank of fuel since buying it new.
I have the tow package, so I have 3.73 gears which should make my milage much worse than a non tow pack unit.

I also reset my trip 2 on the one hour long drive and then the drive home and it averaged 25.2 mpg on that run, but I babied it most of the time and set the cruise at 60 mph. I passed 5-6 cars at full throttle in this same run.... It WILL get great milage if you can keep your foot out of it! :).

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I average 17.7 around town. 2 things I believe contribute to that 1. I installed an auto stop eliminator which eliminates the most useless device ever invented. 2. I run 93 octane fuel. Dyno tests of these engines show a gain of between 18 and 22 horsepower over 89 octane.the more horsepower you have the less throttle you need to maintain your speed.
I have added a vortec cold air system bUT my mileage was before that addition.

Can you get me a link to this device?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After 17,000 miles of mostly city driving with about 5000 worth of road trips, I’m running at a 14.8 avg. That’s hand calculated not from the trip computer. I accelerate and drive quickly. I had hoped to get 17 to break even on the premium vs my F150, but oh well.

Not in a million years did I expect to get what Ford advertised I would...mostly because I’ve never had the experience of those numbers being accurate in real life. Ever.

The EBs are extremely thirsty when on boost. Which is often in these giant vehicles.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
City driving can be very costly, and can vary considerably. You spend lots of time stopped at lights and you don't get very far...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait for the temp to warm up too. Mines does better with mpgs when it warm out for some reason ive noticed. The fe on this truck is my absolute fav feature, but you gotta work to get that mileage lol.