2019 Model actual MPG way lower than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Idle time, short trips and getting into the boost from stop & go, kills MPG. Like a previous poster said, it takes a great deal of energy to get a 5,793 lb vehicle moving from a dead stop. If I got your Mercedes model correct it weighs 4,773 lbs. Add a 1,000 lbs of weight to the Mercedes and see if it still gets better gas mileage in the same driving.

I still have the 19 as a rental as some texting idiot rear-ended my 17 and it's in the shop waiting on a back ordered exhaust. I can see where the potential for getting worse gas mileage can happen. The 10 speed transmission system is very responsive and really makes the 19 feel quicker than the 17 (plus the lighter weight from the Aluminum panels). Any need for acceleration and that transmission responds by dropping gears quickly. Then let off and back up the gear it goes. It's nearly seamless. I am very impressed and pleased with it but if you like to go fast it will easily and eat up your gas mileage. Does the wife like to put the pedal to the metal? Eco or Boost, her choice.

If your wife is like a few of my friends, they drive conservatively when hubby is in the car and are race car drivers on their own. How about you drive it for a week to see if the MPGs are the same? If so and you drive conservatively than you may have a problem.

Exactly. You don't even need to get into the throttle a lot and it sucks fuel in town. My MPG tanks when I'm in town and I even tried to drive it kinda easy.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. You don't even need to get into the throttle a lot and it sucks fuel in town. My MPG tanks when I'm in town and I even tried to drive it kinda easy.
Have you tried an economy tune from 5 star?

parsonj

Reaction score
Traded my 2015 4x4 King Ranch 54k miles. Never reset fuel economy. It said ave 17.7 mpg at trade in. My new 2019 4x4 Ltd has 1k miles and shows 19.7 ave mpg. Of the 1k miles 400 miles has been a road trip--75+ mph.
I'm sure first tank of gas supplied by dealer was regular. I always ran regular in the 2015.
I've been refilling the 2019 with premium. I suspect the 10 spd tyranny + engine cutoff + premium fuel is responsible for 10% + improvement.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried an economy tune from 5 star?

Not yet, mine only has 1,700 miles on it. I want to give it more time to be sure the engine is sound before I tune it and F up the factory warranty coverage. It'll be a performance tune I run tho! :)

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing to add. I got to play around with the mode settings this weekend. Sport mode 4a is hoot! This must be what the tuned one feels like. I'm sure the pro tuners are better than Ford's factory program but just WOW! So much power on tap, instant response to throttle input and holds lower gears. You do pay for it though. The gas mileage dropped significantly!

If you are getting low gas mileage make sure you are not in Sport mode with 4a on. Try eco mode in 2wd mode for awhile before you take it back to the dealer.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
I’ve seen several people post about having the auto/stop disabled? Does this seem to help or hurt mileage? I would think its supposed to help given the engine is running less but some of these posts make me wonder. At a minimum, its a little annoying and I just can’t imagine this can be good for the engine and associated components (e.g. starter) to be on and off that much...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve seen several people post about having the auto/stop disabled? Does this seem to help or hurt mileage? I would think its supposed to help given the engine is running less but some of these posts make me wonder. At a minimum, its a little annoying and I just can’t imagine this can be good for the engine and associated components (e.g. starter) to be on and off that much...

Oh man, I hope you brought a net and a glove for all the opinions you’re about to get hurled at you.......

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start/Stop generally will not cover the cost of one starter over 125,000 miles of use, just disable it. Doesn’t save much fuel at all and increases wear on starter, ignition components.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360