2019 platinum 4x4 - performance tune recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightyexpy

Reaction score
been doing some searching, and tried calling 5-star, without any luck.
I got a SCT BDX tuner and currently leaning towards the 5star tunes.
2019 platinum, 4x4, tow package.
Only mod will be the S&B intake kit.

Question is:
Anyone have experience with either the e30 or e50 tunes?
I plan on ordering:
- 93 daily/tow
- 93 performance
- maybe one of the e30 or e50

Looks like so far driveability reviews are good from what I’m reading.
Any issues I need to be concerned about?

Thank you in advance… been trying to keep this truck stock, but can’t help myself.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are lots of things to be concerned about, and I actually find myself somewhat concerned about running tunes. It is so easy for dealers and techs to figure out that a vehicle has been tuned, even if the tunes are removed before taking a vehicle in for service. I find myself hearing any new sound from these and freaking out, whether I should remove the tune just in case something blows up.

Beyond that, I've had a few things hiccup with tunes, things like turbo flutter. But in general, and I went with 5Star, the SCT Bully, they have been fairly quick to respond with fixes. I think you'll find several guys on here that work with smaller shops that may do a lot more complex tuning for you. But in general, 5Star takes all of your modifications and creates solid tunes.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have my 5 star, just have to load it in to mine... it was my last ditch effort to try to get the transmission smoothed out. I decided to go with them after my neighbor pulled the trigger for his 2018 F150 (3.5 EB) and was blown away by how much faster/smoother it is on their 92 perf. To be clear, I was not looking for performance at all... I just want my damn expedition to run correctly so I went with the 89 octane options and I think I had them throw 91 perf in but I have zero intentions of turning it up to that.

They are very hard to get ahold of... submit and email request form and tell them you tried calling and you'd like a call back.

Team_Z

Reaction score
Lots of grenaded Ecoboost online that were tuned hard....... just do your homework....
I was one of those on my F150, over tuned it and I still had Ford cover it under warranty. There is a process to getting covered (ex Ford Service Manager) had my transmission relaxed under warranty as well. Just make sure you always have the right octane. That’s one of the main causes for issues, the 3.5 is a very stout motor, can take a lot of abuse. I once drove an F150 over 500 miles redline the entire time, with all but 1&2 gears locked out. Long story short, was trying to find an issue 10 dealers couldn’t find and the owner was causing a ruckus. Finally figured out the customer just couldn’t afford the truck anymore and wanted Ford to buy it back. If you modify your truck to the point you can’t quickly put it back to stock the higher the chances of getting caught. But just a tune, not a tough problem.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have my 5 star, just have to load it in to mine... it was my last ditch effort to try to get the transmission smoothed out. I decided to go with them after my neighbor pulled the trigger for his 2018 F150 (3.5 EB) and was blown away by how much faster/smoother it is on their 92 perf. To be clear, I was not looking for performance at all... I just want my damn expedition to run correctly so I went with the 89 octane options and I think I had them throw 91 perf in but I have zero intentions of turning it up to that.

They are very hard to get ahold of... submit and email request form and tell them you tried calling and you'd like a call back.
You bought a 5 Star tune to help your Trans? I am confused!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Want the best device for tuning, an SCT device is not that device. But that is a discussion for another day.

Tuning only, E50 will give you the most power potential. I switch between a 93 Tune and a E85(Stock Pump Tune). Run the 93 tune about 8 months out of the year and the E85 in the warmer months, because more power and helps to counteract the higher ambient temps and what they do for power loss.

I don’t run a E50 tune on our Expy, because didn’t want the wife to have to worry about mixing. You can run full E85 with the stock fuel system, it is just turned back. MPG is decreased, but it makes this big thing REALLY fun.

We have a otherwise stock Expy, other than tuning.

I also use ZFG

893ED830-8295-4B68-8C75-0DE98EA98105.jpeg

E85

A483FFD3-573F-4BF1-AD25-099B880187F6.jpeg

Last edited:

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You bought a 5 Star tune to help your Trans? I am confused!
Correct. I've ridden in my neighbors f150 whose was behaving very similarly to mine. Both he and I were thoroughly impressed with it out of the box. He has an 900hp turbo denali (self built and tuned) so he would not run this tuner if he thought it didn't help. He has ran his scanner with the tune for over 1500 miles now and only sent back the file to 5 star to make a few small tweaks that he said aren't really necessary.

His times, stock vs 91 tow/dd.

Please don't mistake me as someone saying every person who owns an ecoboost should call 5 Star right now. I only want my vehicle to run the way it used to before ford reflashed my computer 3x... so I'm trying this and if it doesn't work it's getting traded in lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1740(1).jpg
    IMG_1740(1).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1739(1).jpg
    IMG_1739(1).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are lots of things to be concerned about, and I actually find myself somewhat concerned about running tunes. It is so easy for dealers and techs to figure out that a vehicle has been tuned, even if the tunes are removed before taking a vehicle in for service. I find myself hearing any new sound from these and freaking out, whether I should remove the tune just in case something blows up.

Beyond that, I've had a few things hiccup with tunes, things like turbo flutter. But in general, and I went with 5Star, the SCT Bully, they have been fairly quick to respond with fixes. I think you'll find several guys on here that work with smaller shops that may do a lot more complex tuning for you. But in general, 5Star takes all of your modifications and creates solid tunes.

I find this to be a little hard to believe. First of all, Expedition is probably the LAST vehicle any dealer will expect to be "tuned". Mustang? Sure. Expedition? I bet they don't even look for it.

Now, if you bring it in with an aftermarket air intake and exhaust, they'll know they're dealing with a different customer.

But if you keep everything stock, a plug-in module (like JMS) that simply boosts the turbo a little extra for that +50hp is not going to tip off a dealer. You simply unplug the module when you have an engine issue and the dealer won't know anything.

Sure, they'll scan the ECU, and they may see the turbo was out of range. That's not a proof of a tune though. Dealer will simply assume a bad sensor, a bad turbo, or a simple anomaly. Those things happen all the time.

They're not going to deny you warranty service because some sensor readings were out of range.

The dealer would have to prove that you've tampered with the engine or the software.

Keep your Expy stock if you are worried about warranty service, and stick with plug-and-play modules like JMS if you want extra power.

If you do start customizing with bolt-ons, the warranty train has left.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze