2019 Platinum tow setup with enclosed car hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mightyexpy

Reaction score
Nice setup! Any idea what your tongue weight is? I've been starting to think about a tow setup for my Jeep. Would probably be a similar weight, I'm worried that I'd be at pretty much max payload before adding any gear/passengers in the Expy.
I don’t. I had my local trailer shop install and balance the trailer

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Car was in the car with 4 wheels and tires / tools and some folding chairs
Amazing, that big a trailer and that much weight and it looks perfectly level. I too used to tow with a Diesel Excursion (2002 tuned 7.3), total trailer and load weight about 7000lb, with the Excursion full of tools, spares and people, didn't even know the trailer was back there!

I guess the weight distribution hitch really works! With my 2017 Limited with HD tow package, I tow an open aluminum trailer with 3 different cars between 3300 and 4700lbs - maximum weight trailer and load approximately 6400lb. I don't use a distribution hitch, the Excursion pulls the load fine, but I have some nose rise / rear drop with the heaviest car.

OP
OP
M

mightyexpy

Reaction score
Amazing, that big a trailer and that much weight and it looks perfectly level. I too used to tow with a Diesel Excursion (2002 tuned 7.3), total trailer and load weight about 7000lb, with the Excursion full of tools, spares and people, didn't even know the trailer was back there!

I guess the weight distribution hitch really works! With my 2017 Limited with HD tow package, I tow an open aluminum trailer with 3 different cars between 3300 and 4700lbs - maximum weight trailer and load approximately 6400lb. I don't use a distribution hitch, the Excursion pulls the load fine, but I have some nose rise / rear drop with the heaviest car.
Without the WDH, expedition sways quite a bit more when passing semis, and also going over dips you can really feel the weight transfer. On the excursion… it still improved but wasn’t as noticeable.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without the WDH, expedition sways quite a bit more when passing semis, and also going over dips you can really feel the weight transfer. On the excursion… it still improved but wasn’t as noticeable.
I did notice the sway when around semis or in big crosswind. In the pic below, you can see the slight rise in the front and drop in the rear of the Expy. Of course it did not help that the back of the truck was loaded with cargo. 20211210_113654.jpg

Team_Z

Reaction score
I did notice the sway when around semis or in big crosswind. In the pic below, you can see the slight rise in the front and drop in the rear of the Expy. Of course it did not help that the back of the truck was loaded with cargo. View attachment 72869
Nice Bentley! How do you like it? Been looking at one but will wait until all this overpriced BS is over with.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got the max towing package and running 10 ply BFG tires. Using a 4 point Equalizer hitch and towing a 25RDS Cougar that's about 7500 lbs but heavy on the hitch weight. Payload on the Expedition is 1769 lbs so not much room to play with. Pulled it back from the RV dealer last week and got 9.5 mpg at 62 mph on a windy day. The Ecoboost pulled it with no problem .

IMG_6259.JPG

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice Bentley! How do you like it? Been looking at one but will wait until all this overpriced BS is over with.
Absolutely love the car. Essentially has Porsche chassis, engine and trans and aluminum body. Twin turbo V8, 8 speed PDK and AWD. 0-60 in 3.4 - 3.5 and 1/4 in 11.6.
I circumvented the overpriced B/S. It is a 2020 that was delivered in Late September 2020) to the ordering Dealer in Mineapolis due to Covid. It sat on their showroom floor for 6 months while Covid and the George Floyd problems raged on. I purchased it new at the end of May 2021 for a very good price. It is in South Florida now and we have been offered more than we paid a number of times - but how do we get that deal again?

mlogan

Reaction score
My setup.
2019 Platinum with HD tow package.
-24’ Trailer with car, my tools, fuel jugs etc: ~6,900lbs.
Averaging 12.5mpg cruising around 70mph.
Using Reese weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bar.
Tows pretty well…coming from an excursion with a fully built powerstroke 6.0 with a power max turbo setup, which makes towing a breeze.
Been towing with this setup the past year and so far pretty happy with it. Not much sway driving by semis or gusts of wind, but as expected from a multi-link rear suspension it’s not as stable as a solid rear axle when towing.
Just had my thermostat replaced under warranty (noticed temps hitting 230 under certain loads while towing) and had to get the trans reprogrammed, but other then that… so far so good.

View attachment 72818
How’d you’d get them to replace your tsat or did you pay for it?
Maybe yours threw a code. I can’t get mine to throw one but I suspect it’s sticking based on how it acts in winter and summer.

Team_Z

Reaction score
Absolutely love the car. Essentially has Porsche chassis, engine and trans and aluminum body. Twin turbo V8, 8 speed PDK and AWD. 0-60 in 3.4 - 3.5 and 1/4 in 11.6.
I circumvented the overpriced B/S. It is a 2020 that was delivered in Late September 2020) to the ordering Dealer in Mineapolis due to Covid. It sat on their showroom floor for 6 months while Covid and the George Floyd problems raged on. I purchased it new at the end of May 2021 for a very good price. It is in South Florida now and we have been offered more than we paid a number of times - but how do we get that deal again?
Definitely hold on to it! Didn’t realize is was soo much Porsche, always thought of it as a VW on steroids borrowing parts from Audi.

Have my eyes set on a Bentayga Speed my dealer is set to get in sometime between October and December. Dealer already agreed no more than MSRP if I like it.