2020 Drive Modes failure when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GWK1

Reaction score
On 2 separate occasions while towing a 6,500 travel trailer on flat roads, with my 2020 XLT w/hvy dty tow pkg and only 17K miles, there has been a failure in the tow/haul operation. All drive modes suddenly and without warning while vehicle is moving, become unavailable - the features like hill assist, sway/skid control, speed control, etc. are announced individually on dash display as inactive. The vehicle is still operational, but only in normal mode - and without the features mentioned earlier. Dealer was unable to find any stored failure, fault, or error codes in the diagnostics on the first occasion (about 3 months ago) - told me to bring it in when it occurs. Today, when the second failure occurred, I was 20 miles from home, towing same trailer. I have made another appointment but am very interested if anyone else has experienced what I've described towing - or not - when the drive modes suddenly fail and the default - normal - is the only option.

Tuck

Reaction score
Does it have CCD? My drive modes went away on my 21 when the CCD sensor on one of the wheels became disconnected.

OP
OP
GWK1

GWK1

Reaction score
Yes, it does have CCD and I will offer this information when I have the vehicle serviced. I understand the disconnect would perhaps disable the drive modes, but the fact that the modes are fully restored and functional after some length of time when the vehicle is idle is pretty strange. If/when my local Ford dealer troubleshoots and remedies this issue, I will post the result and hopefully, the fix.

Tuck

Reaction score
On mine it was one of the connectors which wasn't fully seated and over time started working its way apart. The modes would go out then come back on every once in a while until it progressed to being always out as the connector became fully disconnected. They were able to see which sensor was out and it took them less than 30 min to diagnose and fix. This was at very low miles though. Yours has enough miles on it that one of your actual sensors may be going bad.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it does have CCD and I will offer this information when I have the vehicle serviced. I understand the disconnect would perhaps disable the drive modes, but the fact that the modes are fully restored and functional after some length of time when the vehicle is idle is pretty strange. If/when my local Ford dealer troubleshoots and remedies this issue, I will post the result and hopefully, the fix.
XLT with CCD? Didn't think that was possible.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze