2020 to 2021 Limited Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Currently, have a 2005 Eddie Bauer with Heavy Tow Package that is used mainly to tow a travel trailer.

Looking into replacing it with a loaded Max Limited Stealth Edition. Going with the Max to be able to have some cargo space with the 3rd row up.

Dealer inventory show that there are 2020 and 2021 models available. Maybe my searching skills aren't that good since I haven't been able to find out exactly what are the major and minor differences.

What I've found by comparing windows stickers is that the 2020 the show "2nd row bucket seats" and the 2021 show "2nd row captain chair seats." The options are the same price. Are they the same thing?

Also, 2021 window stickers show CCD as a line item in the optional equipment section; whereas, the none of the 2020 windows stickers that I have seen show CCD.

Any info would be appreciated.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can only speak to '20, but CCD I think is part of the 302A package on Limited trim. Without that package you don't get CCD, it's probably the same for '21? I seriously doubt the actual seats changed, just the name - I would think listing photos would tell that story easily. Do you think you want CCD? Unless you're planning to do an upgrade yourself, there are many complaints about the durability of the base suspension, so if you don't want to mod or upgrade I'd recommend CCD off the bat.

Jimmer

Reaction score
When i was trying to triangulate what the options on the window sticker actually meant and get more info on them, best way i found was to use the "Build your own" tool on ford's website and cross reference that with the window sticker. You could also search this site for the 2021 Expedition order guide, that has a lot of info on the subject.

If memory serves, the CCD came standard with any model outfitted with the 22" wheels for 2020. The 2021 build tool shows it as a stand alone option though it requires either the 302A or Stealth packages (which have 22" wheels). So it seems that you could build one with 22 inch wheels and no CCD. I would highly recommend the CCD (especially f you are getting 22 inch wheels) unless you plan to upgrade the standard shocks. Like mwl said, lots of durability issues with the standard shocks leaking oil and needing replacement as soon as a 3k miles. Plus you will get a better ride and the ability to change the ride characteristics when using different drive modes (sport/eco/grass-gravel-snow/mud-ruts/tow-haul).

One of the main differences for 21 vs 20 that I see is:
-For 2020 the eLSD was included with the HD Tow package with the 3.73 rear end, 2 speed transfer case, bigger radiator, etc.
-For '21, it looks like you have to either choose the HD Tow package OR the eLSD.

This is odd to me as one of the main benefits the ford informational video (line below) on the eLSD touts is it's ability to transfer power side to side when pulling a trailer for more stability in winds and when cornering.
The eLSD also gives you the option to lock the rear diff, so that would be frustrating to not be able to have a lockable rear diff if you got the tow package. I would think many buyers would want both the tow package and the eLSD/lockable rear diff.
It looks like the only way to get both is with the FX4 package, but then you lose the ProTrailer backup feature (which probably isnt a big deal to most).
I am a huge fan of the eLSD.

This video from Ford gives a little more info on it:

This video is of the eLSD on the new Yukon which is functionally very similar to the eLSD in the Expedtion:

Notice starting around 7:15 in the video how as soon as one wheel slips, the system immediately pushes power to the wheel with traction.
Gives a pretty good visual at how well an eLSD works in comparison to the pickup with a G80 "automatic mechanical locking rear diff" in the video.
In the video, the eLSD works much better than the G80 and the G80 is going to be a lot better than an expedition without the eLSD.

As for the buckets vs captain chairs, those would be the same thing. 2 chairs with armrests in the second row instead of 3 seat bench.

OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd want CCD. Initially, before doing researching it, I was wondering about durability since the prior years with air suspension had issues and owners dumped them. Looks like CCD is the way to go now and it would be beneficial to have the modes since it would help when towing.

On suspension mods, I won't be doing anything radical like big lift. Just a mild lift/leveling kit like the ReadyLIFT and sway bars.

I can only speak to '20, but CCD I think is part of the 302A package on Limited trim. Without that package you don't get CCD, it's probably the same for '21? I seriously doubt the actual seats changed, just the name - I would think listing photos would tell that story easily. Do you think you want CCD? Unless you're planning to do an upgrade yourself, there are many complaints about the durability of the base suspension, so if you don't want to mod or upgrade I'd recommend CCD off the bat.

OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll find the order guide and take a look.

I don't think the build tool is working right. I noticed the same thing as you did, that it doesn't allow choosing the HD Tow and the eLSD for 2021. However, I've check multiple 2021 window stickers that had both.

upload_2021-2-12_12-47-41.png

It looks like they stripped the eLSD out of the HD Tow and made it a separate option. The 3.73 rear end and eLSD is a great combo.

Think I'd want the ProTrailer backup feature. I have not problem backing up a trailer but this should make it easier.

When i was trying to triangulate what the options on the window sticker actually meant and get more info on them, best way i found was to use the "Build your own" tool on ford's website and cross reference that with the window sticker. You could also search this site for the 2021 Expedition order guide, that has a lot of info on the subject.

If memory serves, the CCD came standard with any model outfitted with the 22" wheels for 2020. The 2021 build tool shows it as a stand alone option though it requires either the 302A or Stealth packages (which have 22" wheels). So it seems that you could build one with 22 inch wheels and no CCD. I would highly recommend the CCD (especially f you are getting 22 inch wheels) unless you plan to upgrade the standard shocks. Like mwl said, lots of durability issues with the standard shocks leaking oil and needing replacement as soon as a 3k miles. Plus you will get a better ride and the ability to change the ride characteristics when using different drive modes (sport/eco/grass-gravel-snow/mud-ruts/tow-haul).

One of the main differences for 21 vs 20 that I see is:
-For 2020 the eLSD was included with the HD Tow package with the 3.73 rear end, 2 speed transfer case, bigger radiator, etc.
-For '21, it looks like you have to either choose the HD Tow package OR the eLSD.

This is odd to me as one of the main benefits the ford informational video (line below) on the eLSD touts is it's ability to transfer power side to side when pulling a trailer for more stability in winds and when cornering.
The eLSD also gives you the option to lock the rear diff, so that would be frustrating to not be able to have a lockable rear diff if you got the tow package. I would think many buyers would want both the tow package and the eLSD/lockable rear diff.
It looks like the only way to get both is with the FX4 package, but then you lose the ProTrailer backup feature (which probably isnt a big deal to most).
I am a huge fan of the eLSD.

This video from Ford gives a little more info on it:

This video is of the eLSD on the new Yukon which is functionally very similar to the eLSD in the Expedtion:

Notice starting around 7:15 in the video how as soon as one wheel slips, the system immediately pushes power to the wheel with traction.
Gives a pretty good visual at how well an eLSD works in comparison to the pickup with a G80 "automatic mechanical locking rear diff" in the video.
In the video, the eLSD works much better than the G80 and the G80 is going to be a lot better than an expedition without the eLSD.

As for the buckets vs captain chairs, those would be the same thing. 2 chairs with armrests in the second row instead of 3 seat bench.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll find the order guide and take a look.

I don't think the build tool is working right. I noticed the same thing as you did, that it doesn't allow choosing the HD Tow and the eLSD for 2021. However, I've check multiple 2021 window stickers that had both.

View attachment 40400

It looks like they stripped the eLSD out of the HD Tow and made it a separate option. The 3.73 rear end and eLSD is a great combo.

Think I'd want the ProTrailer backup feature. I have not problem backing up a trailer but this should make it easier.

Yeah could very well be something wrong with the build tool. I see on that sticker you posted, the HD Tow is included with the Convenience package - but even if i try to build it like it's spec'd on that sticker the build tool wont allow it.

I'm a huge fan of the 3.73 and the eLSD combo. For my use, I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle without a lockable rear end, and the eLSD allows that plus all the automatic torque vectoring is great to have.

I've heard the backup feature is nice if you take the time to set it up for the trailers you're going to use. I havent done it, and it doesnt look super complicated but one of those things a lot of people just dont take the time to do.

OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!
Ended up picking up a 2021 yesterday. Thought the price quoted was a decent deal so went in and test drove it. The only 20/21 not too far away with the configuration (color/options).

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bringing this back up to the top as I am in the same dilemma. I was confused as to whether the HD tow package included the elsd diff. Now I know for MY21 it does not. Bummer..... I just bought a 21 Limited w/ Stealth package and HD towing. BUT I now know it does not have the elsd that I would of wanted. Here is a pic of the window sticker

I could not find one w/ elsd and the HD tow (which I wanted). Hope I don't get in a situation where I will regret not having it.

Cheers!!

window sticker snip.PNG

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bringing this back up to the top as I am in the same dilemma. I was confused as to whether the HD tow package included the elsd diff. Now I know for MY21 it does not. Bummer..... I just bought a 21 Limited w/ Stealth package and HD towing. BUT I now know it does not have the elsd that I would of wanted. Here is a pic of the window sticker

I could not find one w/ elsd and the HD tow (which I wanted). Hope I don't get in a situation where I will regret not having it.

Cheers!!

View attachment 41175

4x4 or 4x2?