2020. Violent jerking when shifting to Drive from Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Violent is a subjective term but it is a jerking motion that shifts passengers in the vehicle when it happens (nearly all of the time)

To alleviate I have also tried putting the parking brake on so that the car doesn’t roll after being put into Park in case that was causing it. This doesn’t seem to have helped.

I’m worried this is the sign of or could cause a transmission issue. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
My 2019 jerks when shifting from Park to Reverse on occasions at cold start (i.e. first thing in the morning). However, it definitely doesn't do it all the time like yours.

And it only happens when the engine is cold.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I actually took it to the dealer today. Tech sat in it and tried it a few times and said hmmm that’s normal. Then a hard jerk happened and he said yeah that’s not normal.

Looking at a 2 week time frame to even have it looked at. I learned the ESP doesn’t cover rental car until after issue diagnosed and deemed covered, so I am on the hook for my rental until they can get to it.

Seems not “fair” in that they should cover from first day if the issue is covered or not at all if not. Oh well. Hoping for the best. Maybe next time I’ll get a Lincoln solely for better “perks” when it’s under a warranty to avoid rental car hassles. Shame because I like the look of the fords more.

HansS

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I actually took it to the dealer today. Tech sat in it and tried it a few times and said hmmm that’s normal. Then a hard jerk happened and he said yeah that’s not normal.

Looking at a 2 week time frame to even have it looked at. I learned the ESP doesn’t cover rental car until after issue diagnosed and deemed covered, so I am on the hook for my rental until they can get to it.

Seems not “fair” in that they should cover from first day if the issue is covered or not at all if not. Oh well. Hoping for the best. Maybe next time I’ll get a Lincoln solely for better “perks” when it’s under a warranty to avoid rental car hassles. Shame because I like the look of the fords more.
Just curious what the technician found to be the problem?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea let us know. My 19 does this Sometimes even after warm. When I put it into R from P it would jerk the car a bit and a cluck noise at the same time as that jerk from underneath the suv....I have figured its another normal thing since EVERYTIME i bring my car in for a "noise" im told its Normal. Maybe the dealer wont say its normal this time too..

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ford “flashed” the transmission, it’s a software thing i believe to fix the issue. No mechanical tinkering required on their part. I’ve looked for my paperwork but I must have thrown it away.

capt_tom

Reaction score
My 2020 was also shifting rough from park to drive, drive to park etc. A flash of the transmission software resolved the issue. Been 2 months now. No issue.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ours was doing this. The flash seemed to help at first, but then it came back for reasons nobody could explain. Along with other transmission issues.