2020 XLT Stereo Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerald Cook

Reaction score
Thanks for posting these pictures. I am looking to make upgrades to my 2020 6 speaker system soon. Still looking for a little guidance on speakers, amps, etc. A sub would be nice also.

I'm in the same boat at you. I'd like to upgrade my 2020 6 speaker system as well (202A, if it makes a difference). I'm not quite ready to take a Dremel to my new car yet, so upgrades would be limited to new speakers in the factory locations, maybe a small sub in the back, and removing the factory EQ limitations in FORScan.

Any opinions on how much of an improvement I could expect? Is this half-step update worth the hassle or do I just hold off until I'm ready to add speakers to non-factory locations?

OP
OP
J

JKautz

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat at you. I'd like to upgrade my 2020 6 speaker system as well (202A, if it makes a difference). I'm not quite ready to take a Dremel to my new car yet, so upgrades would be limited to new speakers in the factory locations, maybe a small sub in the back, and removing the factory EQ limitations in FORScan.

Any opinions on how much of an improvement I could expect? Is this half-step update worth the hassle or do I just hold off until I'm ready to add speakers to non-factory locations?

I would start by experimenting with the Forscan EQ fix. It’s like $10 for the software and $30 for the usb adaptor. You can always revert it if you don’t like it.

From what I can tell the factory stereo has very little power (like 5 watts RMS a speaker) so I’m not sure how much improvement you would get just with new speakers. I would add an amp for sure, but you can put that someplace hidden. No reason you can’t get rear speakers with the tweeter mounted to them so you don’t have to cut the rear door.

OP
OP
J

JKautz

Reaction score
Had a few emails about my parts list. Here is what I had:

Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 (the amp I used)

Amp wiring kit (mostly for the power line to the battery and ground line)

50 feet of speaker wire (I had some leftover from another project, so you might need more)

Rockford Fosgate T1675-S (rear speakers/tweeters)

Infinity Reference REF-9630CX (front speakers/tweeters) - I wanted Rockford Fosgates, but took what I could get due to COVID

Metra 82-5606 and 82-5605 speaker brackets (mounts the speakers in the doors, you will need some sort of mount similar to this)

Metra 72-5602 speaker harnesses (4x) - they convert the factory harness in the door to the speaker connectors. Probably could skip and just cut the wires.

A bunch (like 25) 1" self tapping screws

A 6' x 10' piece of ABS plastic (mounted the crossovers in the doors on this material by cutting strips about 3' x 18")

Forscan software and USB adapter

A bunch of crimp connectors (somewhere around 50 were used)

OP
OP
J

JKautz

Reaction score
Here is a photo someone sent me showing how they put a sub in the Center Console to solve the bass issue, as well as their door install photos.

2600F522-7513-441A-B160-AF5C59233C79.jpeg

Stand below the sub.

96747AEB-48EA-42E3-B761-D9D8FC1A0076.jpeg

Sub

13AA9001-1959-43F6-9623-16AB82E4E758.jpeg

Rear door

9F2AF3C2-E603-4E48-BF22-450CB8791506.jpeg

Front door

Last edited:

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll post my build and review once complete, but in the meantime here is my solution to the subwoofer problem. I did look at those 'under-seat' subs; most reviews were not positive. This is an 8" powered sub mounted in the cavity between the 2nd and 3rd rows. If you happened to see my post on another thread about removing the 3rd row headrest - this is why.

IMG_20210203_064217185.jpg

SWTB0BCAT

Reaction score
I'll post my build and review once complete, but in the meantime here is my solution to the subwoofer problem. I did look at those 'under-seat' subs; most reviews were not positive. This is an 8" powered sub mounted in the cavity between the 2nd and 3rd rows. If you happened to see my post on another thread about removing the 3rd row headrest - this is why.

View attachment 40165

This looks awesome, but I am still trying to figure out where this is exactly? Does it prevent you from using the 3rd row?

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This looks awesome, but I am still trying to figure out where this is exactly? Does it prevent you from using the 3rd row?
My 3rd row is only used for dog transport, so the seats are always down. I've only used them as a seat 1x in all the time i've had it. So its the space on the floor infront of the retracted 3rd row. The 2nd row can still go flat or upright with no issues.

bamanut_aj

Reaction score
Found this thread through a Google search!

i, too, have a 2020 XLT. I love everything about it except for the horrible stereo. I am willing to go through the deal to get the next stereo up.

1. Is the next one up 9 speakers? Or just ‘improved‘ sound via a speaker upgrade or an amp, from the dealer?

OR

2. would I keep the Ford stereo, and add aftermarket amp and speakers?

OR

3. how the heck do you do that ForScan thing? Does it really help?

I grew up in the 80’s. We swapped out car stereos all the time! This stuff now is way above my pay level, man. Thanks for the help!