2021 F150 Test Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to drive a 2021 f150 lariat with the v8 engine yesterday on island. I believe it was 500a pkg with with few options, but I didn't get a good look at the sticker to be honest. I wanted to drive the platinum, but the sales guy couldn't find it as it wasn't on there new car lot. Below are my observations. I driven a somewhat comparable ram 1500(Laramie w/ sport pkg) back in December and will most likely use it as a comparison for some things.

- the seats, steering wheel, and overall quality of the interior is really nice. For a pickup, it felt more like a premium or entry luxury entry(it should for the price). The comfort of the seats were exemplary, which is pretty standard for ford products in general. Buttons were logically placed, but the steering wheel button placement seemed somewhat counterintuitive for some things(tach menu on the right side, volume on left side). This is only noticed as the expy I owned had buttons that were easy to get to and made sense where they were.

- the 12in screen seems larger in person, while the rams screen seems smaller in person. The icons are huge and easy to get to, but theres no home button, so there's a lot of drill down. However, the screen is uncluttered, which the rams tends to be. There is also a noticeable lag btw pressing and action of features. I wanted to try the speak function, since it's supposed to have natural speech identification, but the truck wouldn't let me. Guess she didnt feel like taking orders.

- the truck had the v8. I havent driven the 5.0 since testing a 2015 f150 with it. In sport mode, it seemed a bit lurchy, but it smoothed out considerably in normal and eco. Its not as punchy or exciting as the 3.5l, but it gets out of its own way well enough. It's def comparable to the hemi, though not as smooth. Its also whisper quiet outside of sport mode.. The tranny is improved 10 fold over the expys(last gen). Shifts were buttery or firm when needed, and there was barely any hunting for gears.

- For a pickup on leafs and off road pkg, the ride was phenomenal. There was minimal truck jitters and the body movement was well controlled while still being supple over cracks and divets. I've driven many a car over the stretch I drove and the f150 was def top 3. Handling was also impressive. The steering is pretty light in all modes, and slightly loose in eco, but sport and normal is more direct. Compared to the ram, the ford had a more supple front, but ram had a more supple rear. In all, the ram is slightly better, as the leafs still wiggle on the worst roads. The ram also felt a bit lighter in its moves.

- it's a quiet ass truck. As quiet or more as the denali I driven, which was the quietest car I've ever been in to this point. Note: pickup did not have moonroof.

- if you like music, the standard b&o is trash. No bass at all, surround setting does not surround, and sounded a bit tinny. Rubbish, hugely inferior to the expys b&o, which I rele liked. Upgrade to the unleashed. The platinum had the unleashed, so hopefully we can try it out.

In all, I was very impressed. I can see myself in one of these, though I'd still Maybe get a ram first. If this is the direction the 2022 expy will be headed, I'm excited for it.

cu-0.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2021 5.0 is pretty peppy, it’s rated at 400 horsepower/410 lb ft. It will walk any stock 4th gen Expedition, the stock 0-60 is in the 5’s out of the factory. Light trucks. Really any engine besides the base V6 will feel more powerful than the Expedition when you put your foot down. Even the 2.7 screams.

They all feel more powerful than my 5.4...but as long as it keeps ticking along I’ll keep it for now lol.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2021 5.0 is pretty peppy, it’s rated at 400 horsepower/410 lb ft. It will walk any stock 4th gen Expedition, the stock 0-60 is in the 5’s out of the factory. Light trucks. Really any engine besides the base V6 will feel more powerful than the Expedition when you put your foot down. Even the 2.7 screams.

They all feel more powerful than my 5.4...but as long as it keeps ticking along I’ll keep it for now lol.[/Qhaven't.

The expys can get to 60 in mid 5s as well. Mine was a 2wd with the 3.15 and though it loss some off the line oomph, once them turbos kicked in, baby grl would zoom, lol. The 5L was nice, bit I think I liked the 3.5l better. I would love if they put the 2.7l in the expy. I'd take 7sec to 60 if I could get 26+ mpg on the hwy.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah lots of videos online where even the 2.7TT gets close to or beats the 5.0, not to mention the 3.5TT being even faster.

Once Ford proves the PowerBoost is a reliable powertrain people like and meshes it with a 2.3TT or 2.7TT look out it's going to wreck the segment. That will still have good power and probably 30mpg highway.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I’m on Ford lots due to my work. I can tell you that unless you’re willing to go heavily into debt, those characteristics are worthless.

An XLT screw averages $50-$60k depending on packages.
The basic STX will run you $45-$50k.

The F250’s w 6.7d runs in the $70k range.

Yesterday I drove the Explorer ST. ReL barn burner. $57k.

Can you spell CPO? Cause anyone that signs on for $700+ monthly payment is nuts.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah lots of videos online where even the 2.7TT gets close to or beats the 5.0, not to mention the 3.5TT being even faster.

Once Ford proves the PowerBoost is a reliable powertrain people like and meshes it with a 2.3TT or 2.7TT look out it's going to wreck the segment. That will still have good power and probably 30mpg highway.

The 5.0 and 3.5 are a dead match to the tenth of a second 1/4 mile according to car and driver testing. Both got massaged and have more power now but the 2.7 sort of got left behind for the new model. For the first time the 5.0 actually has more torque than the 2.7.

With the 5.0 having more power/torque and 24 MPG with the cylinder deactivation it makes a better case now. I’d take the 3.5 EcoBoost myself but they kept it around since it’s the volume engine and the cheaper one of the two. The 2.7 still flies though lol.

Last edited:

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The 5.0 and 3.5 are a dead match to the tenth of a second 1/4 mile according to car and driver testing. Both got massaged and have more power now but the 2.7 sort of got left behind for the new model. For the first time the 5.0 actually has more torque than the 2.7.

With the 5.0 having more power/torque and 24 MPG with the cylinder deactivation it makes a better case now. I’d take the 3.5 EcoBoost myself but they kept it around since it’s the volume engine and the cheaper one of the two. The 2.7 still flies though lol.

You lost me at cylinder deactivation.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol I have a 2021 stx here at the house which is basically a xl with a 5.0 engine. In sport mode with the traction control stability control turned off and running E-85 . The truck is a tire burning beast! The ecoboost doesn’t come close not to mention you get better mileage with the 5.0 and way more torque and no Turbo lag and way cheaper Maintenence bills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze