2021 ford expedition catalytic converter fail - drive cycle is fix now??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firstford2021

Reaction score
Hi all - we have our first Ford - love it!! A Ford 2021 Expedition - except an error light went on, got it checked right away - it is a Bank 2 code - failed catalytic converter at 51,000. Dealer said to bring it in, they will run codes, and get the part ordered through Ford (under warranty). Brought it in today, but now told that Ford is not replacing it anymore, instead they have a bulletin out (dated june 2022) to have the dealer perform a "drive cycle" on it instead and "clean out the convertor". My question - is this a fix or a band aid? The dealer said they are seeing a lot of Ford Expedition 2020 and 2021 with this problem. Please advice. Thanks.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all - we have our first Ford - love it!! A Ford 2021 Expedition - except an error light went on, got it checked right away - it is a Bank 2 code - failed catalytic converter at 51,000. Dealer said to bring it in, they will run codes, and get the part ordered through Ford (under warranty). Brought it in today, but now told that Ford is not replacing it anymore, instead they have a bulletin out (dated june 2022) to have the dealer perform a "drive cycle" on it instead and "clean out the convertor". My question - is this a fix or a band aid? The dealer said they are seeing a lot of Ford Expedition 2020 and 2021 with this problem. Please advice. Thanks.
First off welcome. I'd pursued your dealer to get a new catalytic converter, might take a little more effort but it'll be better in the long run.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Stretch70

Reaction score
there’s an acid boil out for fouled catalytic converters that I’ve used with great success. I upend the cat in a turkey fryer - (exhaust pipe still attached) fill with water and 1lb of oxalic acid (wood bleach from rocklers) and 1lb of citric acid (fruit fresh from Walmart). Boil for two hours. Stay upwind. Have 2lbs of baking soda ready to neutralize the vile mixture into oxalic and citric salts. As long as the matrix of the cat was still intact, the cats functioned again for at least two years with no fault codes

RAY OLIVO

Reaction score
I Have The Same Problem On MY 2016 Ford Expedition, , Replaced Both Cats, (Not Ford, OEM),But Engine LIght repeatly Come ON with The Same code, Bank 2 Code,1st Took To Dealer, And Was Told Cats, Have Been ON Back Order Since Jan, Hopefully Another Dealer can Fix The Problem,