2021 Limited Max known problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Holland

Reaction score
I am currently looking at a 2021 Limited Max. It has just under 80k miles. It looks to be in pretty good shape for the miles. What are some things to look at before I commit? Known problems? Right now it seems like the air conditioner does not work and the power running boards for sure don't work. I have it for the weekend so any insight would be awesome! Thanks!

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and the power running boards for sure don't work.
Make sure you go through the vehicle settings menu and check that the power running boards are enabled. The default is OFF. I found this out when I disconnected my 12V battery and the settings went back to the default.

Another thing I learned after buying my used 2020 Max Limited with 74K miles recently is the car is sensitive about the 12V battery voltage. It will disable some "features" if it detects low 12V voltage. For example, the Auto Start/Stop will be disabled (will not activate) and the screen will show a message saying it is because the battery needs charging.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am currently looking at a 2021 Limited Max. It has just under 80k miles. It looks to be in pretty good shape for the miles. What are some things to look at before I commit? Known problems? Right now it seems like the air conditioner does not work and the power running boards for sure don't work. I have it for the weekend so any insight would be awesome! Thanks!

You should do a search on this forum and do some reading about engine and transmission issues - which will guide you on what to listen for on the engine and transmission shift issues. There seems to be plenty of issues.

Also - ensure the three Ford safety recalls have been done, including the serious one for a potential engine compartment fire.