2021 Max ltd honest reviews...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Portyansky

Reaction score
So I made the mistake and bought a 2022 VW Atlas. Without getting into many details, I'm simply not happy with it. I started looking for Suburbans, then remembered that the Expedition has the Max. I'm not a Ford v Chev guy, I just feel these 2 vehicles would suit our family. I contacted my local dealers and the one Ford dealerships manager has a 2021 Max ltd available for purchase. I have yet to see/drive it. I'm just trying to do as much research as possible, bc I really don't have room to get this one wrong. Luckily with this market, I'm not taking a huge loss on the Altas as far as a trade in goes.
So looking for real info on this vehicle, the good the bad and the ugly.
Please be as brutally honest as possible. If I did my due diligence on the Atlas I would have stayed clear. My fault, not gonna happen again.

Sorry for the long post, I just gotta make this one right.
Thanks in advance.

snowrider0985

Reaction score
So I made the mistake and bought a 2022 VW Atlas. Without getting into many details, I'm simply not happy with it. I started looking for Suburbans, then remembered that the Expedition has the Max. I'm not a Ford v Chev guy, I just feel these 2 vehicles would suit our family. I contacted my local dealers and the one Ford dealerships manager has a 2021 Max ltd available for purchase. I have yet to see/drive it. I'm just trying to do as much research as possible, bc I really don't have room to get this one wrong. Luckily with this market, I'm not taking a huge loss on the Altas as far as a trade in goes.
So looking for real info on this vehicle, the good the bad and the ugly.
Please be as brutally honest as possible. If I did my due diligence on the Atlas I would have stayed clear. My fault, not gonna happen again.

Sorry for the long post, I just gotta make this one right.
Thanks in advance.
We were just in a similar situation. We have 4 kids. Three in car seats, we needed something that was comfortable and big enough to hold all of our stuff without a using a cargo box. We also wanted the bench seat in the middle and that's one of places that the Expedition max out performed the suburban in our opinion. To get in the back seat of the suburban the middle row folds down and then it folds again to access the 3rd row. The Expedition has an option for the 2nd row to tilt and slide forward, allowing you to keep car seat bases attached and still be able to access the 3rd row (this was huge for us). The Expedition also has a power reclining third row which is really nice if an adult ever needs to ride in the 3rd row.

We were comparing the 22 suburban to the 22 Expedition max and the Expedition handled a lot better, and felt like it had more power. The ecoboost is pretty amazing. The technology is both vehicles was good. I do feel like Ford is ahead of GM in general across the board when it comes to technology.

That being said, the I think either one is a good choice. One thing we noticed is the suburbans were 5 to 6k cheaper for comparable options.

We ended up going with a loaded 2022 Expedition Max XLT

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I made the mistake and bought a 2022 VW Atlas. Without getting into many details, I'm simply not happy with it.
It might help if we knew what your criteria for the purchase was. Third row that fits adults? Towing a camper? Burning as much freedom juice as possible?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A limited is the goldilocks of the trims as you can get it near bare bones as an xlt with nice additions, or almost fully loaded. The ccd is available on the ltd and makes a huge in driving characteristics so you may wanna drive each. Space for people and cargo is top botch, only the wagoneer has more, but it's significantly more expensive. I have driven the new gms, they feel larger and ride a bit firmer unless you get the air springs, but you dropping atleast 80k for that option. I javent driven the 22 fords yet, but from the ppl who have, they ride a bit better than the 21s esp with the ccd opt.

OP
OP
P

Portyansky

Reaction score
It might help if we knew what your criteria for the purchase was. Third row that fits adults? Towing a camper? Burning as much freedom juice as possible?
I'm more looking for ride quality, road noise especially on the highway, any known issues or things that Ford is refusing to fix

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I did this write up not too long ago comparing the wagoneer and yukon debali to the expy i used to own and our current armada. Obviously it's subjective but it's a good start. I also did a write up with my then new expy against some three row crossover but that was years ago lol.

Expediter

Reaction score
Expedition is the way to go. So far I've run 3 GM Products: 2009 Suburban, 2011 Sierra, 2014 Silverado - all used for business...all had 5.3...all consumed unusual amounts of oil at early mileage...endless complaints about this known issue if you do a bit of homework. That said, they sailed down the highway pretty nice. GM 5.3 was kind of sluggish/unresponsive in these vehicles. I decided to go with Expeditions for a bit, 2016, 2017 XL, & 2020 Max. I could not be happier with the Expeditions. All have 3.5 EcoBoost, all are incredibly responsive even for the big beasts that they are yet sail down the road very nicely. smooth and quiet but not bouncy/floaty like the burb was. The EcoBoost just keeps on giving when you need more. Also, I use these for work where I am frequently off-road in them. They pull incredibly well in deep sand. best of all, they don't consume unusual amounts of oil.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2021 King Ranch with more options than I need. Having said that, at a shade over 10K miles it has been flawless. For info I test drove a couple and was a bit disappointed with the highway gears. Felt the truck was under powered but the 3:73's made a world of difference woke it right up. You will take a hit in the mileage but it is a damn truck not a economy car. All in all it makes us happy. ymmv

Bman25

Reaction score
I have owned a Yukon Xl 2013, Sub 2015, now Expy 2018. Ford wins on: Back seat comfort, hip and leg room, tech/nav, handling, turbo power. I found the newer Chevy and GMCs to be more expensive than the Fords. 2-3K for the Chevy and 5K for the GMC. I think overall reliability goes to Ford (even though mine has had issues 2018s) Buying a 2022 if that tells you anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360