2021 Tahoe/Suburban being announced today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious to see how it'll stack up against the Expy which has been winning praise all around. I'm mostly curious to see what powertrain options will be offered. I recently rented a current-gen Yukon XL on a trip and man, that thing drives like it weights 20,000lbs. Slow, overly-cushy, and handles like a bear. It was hard to believe it's the same size and weight as our 2018 Expedition MAX. I've never been a fan of GM, but the Tahoe/Suburban outsell Expys by leaps and bounds, so GM won't be kidding around.

Vicious

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this too. Anyone know what time the event is, and if there is a stream?

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
I owned tahoe’s and suburban’s for years before switching over to an expy in 2017. If the rear cargo area floor still folds down at a slanted angle, it’s a failure.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2021 powertrains are as follows (expected)

Base: 5.3L V8
All New: 3.0L Duramax Diesel
Top option: 6.2L V8
5331C933-1FCA-445D-8C89-887BCF87B754.jpeg

turbo_21157

Reaction score
I owned tahoe’s and suburban’s for years before switching over to an expy in 2017. If the rear cargo area floor still folds down at a slanted angle, it’s a failure.
I just dumped a 2011 Suburban. The rear seat folding "solution" was such a PITA. Love the power, fold flat in my '17 Expedition.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I work in a well-to-do part of Dallas. If you drive around this part of town you'd think a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban convention was in town. Without exaggeration, every 4th vehicle is one of them. I went to lunch the other day and counted 8 (8!) identical white/black/grey Yukon Denali XLs parked in a row. It would have been 10 but there was a white Range Rover and a Tahoe breaking the streak.

All the moms around here (and some of the dads) just wander into the GM dealership every year and ask for the new version. I see at least 2 every day with paper dealer plates on them...folks are still buying them even though a new model is right around the corner. They don't care because it's what they have always bought and they will be buying another one next year. Selling cars at Sewell GMC here in Dallas has got to be the easiest job on earth.

All this to say, GM would have to screw up really, really, REALLY badly to change the market share numbers @JExpedition07 posted above. The General is going to sell a billion of these things regardless of what they look like or what's under the hood. Sure, they will lose a few folks on the margins for one reason or another, but the loyalty is truly amazing. I guess that's what Ford gets for waiting a decade too long to update the Expi.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford’s best years of market share in the Expedition were the 2003-2010 range. They used to compete on being the cost effective full size and that was there niche and they sold a lot doing that. As soon as they jacked up prices and tried to compete at the higher price point they lost that battle to GM and they have never recouped. GM is still beating them up in 2019, it’s arguable Ford made a poor business decision jacking up prices as they lost a lot of future annuity through the lost market share too.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The rear cargo floor on my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 slops downward, although flat, toward the rear cargo door.

I’ve found that cargo often shifts to the rear, against the hatch, then falls out when I open the hatch.

Ford, in its infinite wisdom, did not provide a cargo net or provisions for a cargo net - or provide cargo tie-down points. I’ve seen cheap, entry level cars that have trunk cargo nets standard.

After buying the vehicle new and using it, I quickly learned to hate this design feature of my Expedition.