2021 Tahoe/Suburban being announced today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denali looks good. Front fascia/lights retain the bold look that Expy Platinum lacks. No bump in power is surprising. Expy Platinum should be boosted to 420hp IMO for 2021 model year. Also loving the air suspension on the Denali, which lowers the vehicle.

I'm sticking to my original statement, that Expy MAX should've been longer. Inch for inch, it lags significantly in terms of cargo volume behind 3rd row. 2021 Suburban/Yukon XL have grown in length, now offering cargo volume behind 3rd row at 41 cubic feet, compared to mere 36. People in the market for the longer wheelbase model do so largely for its cargo capacity. Curious to see how the new Escalade is going to look, but this Denali is easily going to outsell Expys brief period of fame.

The ‘07-‘17 Expedition EL has more cargo space than either option at 43 cubic feet. It’s not the length, the newer models aren’t as tall and that decreased roofline chops a good chunk off cargo capacity.

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ill say this....the new Z71 and AT4 look bad ass when their air suspension is set all the way up. The front bumpers look great. Its too bad the FX4's dont depart a little more from the rest of the Expys.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denali looks good. Front fascia/lights retain the bold look that Expy Platinum lacks. No bump in power is surprising. Expy Platinum should be boosted to 420hp IMO for 2021 model year. Also loving the air suspension on the Denali, which lowers the vehicle.

I'm sticking to my original statement, that Expy MAX should've been longer. Inch for inch, it lags significantly in terms of cargo volume behind 3rd row. 2021 Suburban/Yukon XL have grown in length, now offering cargo volume behind 3rd row at 41 cubic feet, compared to mere 36. People in the market for the longer wheelbase model do so largely for its cargo capacity. Curious to see how the new Escalade is going to look, but this Denali is easily going to outsell Expys brief period of fame.

Absolutely. The cargo room behind the 3rd row of the Expy Max is significantly smaller than the Suburban. It’s even smaller than the numbers say because the Expy cargo area is curved (bows out) at its longest point in the middle and that’s where they take the measurements from. However the Burb goes straight across. The Suburban’s cargo area is huge compared to Expy. However, the Expy does have more 3rd row leg room than the now old Suburban, but not the new Suburban just released. Since GM chose to follow Expy with IRS, they’ve opened up more leg room and in addition. Grown in inches. So the new Suburban will be even larger all around than the Expy Max. We need a Max Plus, lol to compare now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now since gm sells the expy, but gm-ified, noones gonna need the expy anymore. Fords got they work cut out for the mcr.

KenK

Reaction score
Owned a older Suburban Z71 that I purchased new was the best vehicle I ever had.
While shopping for a new one GM didn't have hardly any Z71s, could only get 6.2L on
highest trim levels, were not giving any good deals.
Test drove an Expy and was astonished how good it was.
Happy to say I did my part to help the Expy gain a little market share.
4th gen Expy also caused GM to get off their dead rear end and finally update the Suburbans, Tahoes, and Yukons.
Glad to see competition come to the full size SUV market like it is the pickups, Ford is doing just fine there.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4th gen Expy also caused GM to get off their dead rear end and finally update the Suburbans, Tahoes, and Yukons.
Glad to see competition come to the full size SUV market like it is the pickups, Ford is doing just fine there.

?? GM has been updating its full size SUV’s every 5 years.

Do you mean change to IRS?

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GM did minor updates to their SUVs for years. But, if you look beneath the surface they were refreshes, not complete redesigns. In my opinion, the current Suburban has not been redesigned since I purchased one in 2001, only refreshed. How did they get fold flat seats? They raised the cargo floor and probably shrunk the cushion thickness. You could see it when you opened the tailgate.

The 2021 is a complete redesign that can actually compete with the Ford products.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GM did minor updates to their SUVs for years. But, if you look beneath the surface they were refreshes, not complete redesigns. In my opinion, the current Suburban has not been redesigned since I purchased one in 2001, only refreshed. How did they get fold flat seats? They raised the cargo floor and probably shrunk the cushion thickness. You could see it when you opened the tailgate.

The 2021 is a complete redesign that can actually compete with the Ford products.

Redesign and refresh are common terms/accepted terms. Completely changing the frame is not the litmus test for it. Though GM tends to be more evolutionary in its redesigns than Ford does. This practice of more frequent redesigns has served GM very well from a sales standpoint.

A 2001 and a 2020 suburban are completely different beasts. Remove able seats gave way to fold flat, engines changed, transmissions changed, electronics and interiors completely changed.

Mid cycle refreshes are what we see in the older expeditions and Toyota sequoias.

This is a redesign. Not a refresh.

2733b3ab73be91994b6e3724e516327b.jpg

a6e40fac82d3771e78ac366bf5906728.jpg

b310dd8b470692e9214c2f8f0806bbf9.jpg

832a832e664661ef67ebe55f23cfae8e.jpg

Last edited:

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew there would be disagreement with my post. Yes, there are significant changes between 2001 and 2019. But, not nearly as many as there should have been.

I replaced my 2001 with a 2008 Sequoia. Much more modern design. I held onto my Sequoia until after Ford's redesign in 2018.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew there would be disagreement with my post. Yes, there are significant changes between 2001 and 2019. But, not nearly as many as there should have been.

I replaced my 2001 with a 2008 Sequoia. Much more modern design. I held onto my Sequoia until after Ford's redesign in 2018.

Maybe. Once expys were on the T1 platform there was virtually no change for 10 years. It’s one of the reasons GM ate their lunch for so many years.

Like I said, GM tends to follow traditional redesign and refresh schedules meaning that each step is evolutionary.

IMO, driving a 2001 and a 2019 suburban are VERY different experiences.