2021 Tahoe/Suburban being announced today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to show why Ford did better in this segment last decade and why it didn’t last forever...For example, my 2007 new was about $45,000 US, a GM would have been about $48,000 US configured closely. The Expedition had a lot more features than the same year Suburban. The Expedition had a 6 speed transmission, heated/cooled seats, Smart Auto 4WD, Powerfold 3rd row with flat load floor, better gearing options and more torque...The Suburban had none of those at the same price point. The Expedition had more and was priced less and undercut the competitors. You have to remember the Suburban is a 100 year old name with undying loyalty....the Expedition is only 20 years old, you have to come in cheaper to take that loyalty away. The undercut strategy is to gain market share. Here we see an example where it didn’t hold that market share with the price increases though.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the Suburban is a 100 year old name with undying loyalty....the Expedition is only 20 years old, you have to come in cheaper to take that loyalty away.
Not in this segment. Very, very few buyers are buying on "it's cheaper". Simply put, folks paying the national median household income for a new vehicle are more concerned with value than with price. There's a lot of members on this board who used to own GM full-sizers. I've not heard anybody say they switched because the Expedition was cheaper.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in this segment. Very, very few buyers are buying on "it's cheaper". Simply put, folks paying the national median household income for a new vehicle are more concerned with value than with price. There's a lot of members on this board who used to own GM full-sizers. I've not heard anybody say they switched because the Expedition was cheaper.

Well my post is based on market share over model years.....yours seems well, based on feelings and opinion from a forum. Ford final sales have been low and have not increased with the 4th gen. The higher price and more content as you call it have gained no market share, and performance is very poor compared to when they were more budget friendly (03-10). Ford has always had more “features” and “content” than GM in this segment since the expy was introduced whether cheaper or not so that argument doesn’t seem valid either. The sales and market share trends dispute your claim by leaps and bounds. Cost always matters.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My uncle just bought a GMC Denali over the Ford and when asked said because the Ford was materially more $$$ and not worth it. His yearly earnings are well into the Millions and he drives a Bentley Mulsanne when he’s not in the GMC. So I’d say it’s safe to say yes, cost matters. For a daily driver buyers look at what it is vs the cost and decide, if it’s more $$$ and not worth it it’s not getting off the lot.

Last edited:

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this too. Anyone know what time the event is, and if there is a stream?

The new Tahoe and Suburban will be revealed at a special, media-only event on December 10th at 8:00 pm EST.

Can't find a link to the event...

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
The rear cargo floor on my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 slops downward, although flat, toward the rear cargo door.

I’ve found that cargo often shifts to the rear, against the hatch, then falls out when I open the hatch.

Ford, in its infinite wisdom, did not provide a cargo net or provisions for a cargo net - or provide cargo tie-down points. I’ve seen cheap, entry level cars that have trunk cargo nets standard.

After buying the vehicle new and using it, I quickly learned to hate this design feature of my Expedition.

I have no particular allegiance to Ford. Like I mentioned earlier, I've owned Suburban's (three of them) and Tahoe's (two of them) from 1994 until 2017. While I did feel the expy is superior overall (for the 2017/2018 model years) I would absolutely consider buying another Suburban down the road. Not a Tahoe- too small.

But... Concerning your comments above, it sounds like you're not familiar with the Suburban cargo area. Starting with the second row seats, it slants down toward the lift gate at about a 10º pitch. It's ridiculous. The expy floor is basically level in comparison. And while things can roll around back there, it's nothing compared to the burb- where everything is guaranteed to be right at the back edge when you open the lift gate.

I do agree that the lack of cargo tie downs is a major oversight. I notice Ford did correct that oversight with the 4th gen vehicles.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to show why Ford did better in this segment last decade and why it didn’t last forever...For example, my 2007 new was about $45,000 US, a GM would have been about $48,000 US configured closely. The Expedition had a lot more features than the same year Suburban. The Expedition had a 6 speed transmission, heated/cooled seats, Smart Auto 4WD, Powerfold 3rd row with flat load floor, better gearing options and more torque...The Suburban had none of those at the same price point. The Expedition had more and was priced less and undercut the competitors. You have to remember the Suburban is a 100 year old name with undying loyalty....the Expedition is only 20 years old, you have to come in cheaper to take that loyalty away. The undercut strategy is to gain market share. Here we see an example where it didn’t hold that market share with the price increases though.

On the Chevrolet Cruze, TPMS display pressures and a HVAC air filter were standard - and you could get a heated steering wheel.

None of these features were available (at any cost) on my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GM's 5.3L gutless V8 is the reason I can't stand suburban's. They make me sick looking at that huge vehicle with that low torque, high rpm engine. I bought a 2011 Suburban brand new and I traded it the next year because I couldn't stand its lack of torque even with the tow package 3.42 gears. It rode and drove real nice, but the power was pathetic at best.
Until recently, you couldn't option up to the 6.2L unless you went to the GMC and Denali package.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the Chevrolet Cruze, TPMS display pressures and a HVAC air filter were standard - and you could get a heated steering wheel.

None of these features were available (at any cost) on my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4.

My 18 Expedition Has a heated steering wheel, TPMS display and I'm sure it has a cabin air filter somewhere...... Obviously its since the redesign...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seems you don’t like Ford and have strong GM based opinions. You may enjoy the Cruze....I’ll enjoy the better ride, power, 4WD, extra seats and 1600 lbs payload of my Expy Eddie Bauer for the lack of the cabin filter. I think my 2007 is very well equipped for a 12 year old truck. Has heated/cooled leather, memory function seats/power pedals/heated mirrors, dual zone hvac, electric liftgate, rear park aid, subwoofer, dvd system, power-fold seats....the list goes on. I’m happy with it and it’s aged well with no rust up here in the North. If you’d rather have TPMS read outs I’m not sure, mine has TPMS but no readout just a warning if low.

In all seriousness I understand, but those items are very nit-picky and we’re addressed in 2018.

Last edited: