2021 XLT FX4 Halogens - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@apex96 please post a pic of your light pattern & the front grill with these lights on. I'd like to see this warmer color of 5700K. TIA!
I’ll grab some photos once it’s out of the shop, may not be until next week…

gural

Reaction score
they small cut off if probablily becouse to the road law in Europe -

in US You have symetric lights
in Europe are asymetric with cut to passanger side (due to not so wide streets and not the make blind people going from oposite side)

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@DWs-TTEB here are some night time wall shots of the Philips Ultinon Pro9000 bulbs.

IMG_8902 is from about 5/6 feet from the wall
IMG_8903 same wall but about 35 feet away
IMG_8904 is directly inline with the light housings
IMG_8905 is from about 15 feet away at capture height of 5 feet
IMG_8906 about 4 feet away.

I'll have a second post showing the actual bulbs.

Attachments

• IMG_8902.JPEG
    IMG_8902.JPEG
    154 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8903.JPEG
    IMG_8903.JPEG
    130.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8904.JPEG
    IMG_8904.JPEG
    101.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8905.JPEG
    IMG_8905.JPEG
    116.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8906.JPEG
    IMG_8906.JPEG
    40.7 KB · Views: 10

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One additional closeup of the light housing and then a few of the Philips packaging materials and the light itself. These are my high beams that I have yet to install.

Attachments

• IMG_8907.JPEG
    IMG_8907.JPEG
    104.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8909.JPEG
    IMG_8909.JPEG
    125.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8910.JPEG
    IMG_8910.JPEG
    137.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8911.JPEG
    IMG_8911.JPEG
    125.2 KB · Views: 13

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One additional closeup of the light housing and then a few of the Philips packaging materials and the light itself. These are my high beams that I have yet to install.

@apex96 Thanks for sharing these. I now know what my next set of LED bulbs are going to be. I like the light color & the beam pattern. Looks great!

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
I changed LED bulbs on my 08 F350 and my 2002 BMW z3 and improvement in brightness varies drastically. I was also surprised at how bad the halogens are on our previous Max Limited and so I did the OEM headlight retrofit myself. No, it did not cost me 3k. A pair of good used lights from eBay cost $1K, wire harnesses cost $350 and reselling my old halogens recouped about $575. I post this in response to OP question of anyone having done this before.

I've done LED light bulb replacements before and I did not want to do that with the expedition, to each their own. For me, I wanted the look and performance of the OEM leds.

20201227_164059.jpg

20210117_165607.jpg

EDIT: pictures added.

Last edited:

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed LED bulbs on my 08 F350 and my 2002 BMW z3 and improvement in brightness varies drastically. I was also surprised at how bad the halogens are on our previous Max Limited and so I did the OEM headlight retrofit myself. No, it did not cost me 3k. A pair of good used lights from eBay cost $1K, wire harnesses cost $350 and reselling my old halogens recouped about $575. I post this in response to OP question of anyone having done this before.

I've done LED light bulb replacements before and I did not want to do that with the expedition, to each their own. For me, I wanted the look and performance of the OEM leds.
I completely understand the move to completely swapping out the housings for the LED version. The only thing that kept me from doing that was that fact that they're sealed and if the low or high beam section were to go bad, I'd have to replace the whole housing.

I do plan to replace the stock halogen fog light housings with the factory projector LED housings. They are a direct fit replacement and use the same H8/H11 clip as the halogen bulb does. For those that are interested in swapping to projector LED fog light housings, here are the part numbers and pricing through TASCA. Links below.

This will be my spring project after the tax return hits...

Fog Lamp Assembly - Passenger's Side (RH) - Ford (GT4Z-15200-C) $186.56

Fog Lamp Assembly - Driver's Side (LH) - Ford (GT4Z-15201-A) $186.56

Last edited:

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
I completely understand the move to completely swapping out the housings for the LED version. The only thing that kept me from doing that was that fact that they're sealed and if the low or high beam section were to go bad, I'd have to replace the whole housing.

I do plan to replace the stock halogen fog light housings with the factory projector LED housings. They are a direct fit replacement and use the same H8/H11 clip as the halogen bulb does. For those that are interested in swapping to projector LED fog light housings, here are the part numbers and pricing through TASCA. Links below.

This will be my spring project after the tax return hits...

Fog Lamp Assembly - Passenger's Side (RH) - Ford (GT4Z-15200-C) $186.56

Fog Lamp Assembly - Driver's Side (LH) - Ford (GT4Z-15201-A) $186.56

I did the fogs with LED bulbs too to match color temp of the OEM headlights I installed. As shown in the after pictures. Photo doesn't do justice for difference in brightness because camera auto adjusts contrast and brightness.

I went with ALLA lighting switchback white/yellow but regular white works too. Direct plug and play without flickering. If it does flicker, they also have a adapter but in my case I didn't need it.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the fogs with LED bulbs too to match color temp of the OEM headlights I installed. As shown in the after pictures. Photo doesn't do justice for difference in brightness because camera auto adjusts contrast and brightness.

I went with ALLA lighting switchback white/yellow but regular white works too. Direct plug and play without flickering. If it does flicker, they also have a adapter but in my case I didn't need it.

Many, have gone this route, myself included. But I've had way to many failures due to water intrusion into the circuitry. These fogs sit exposed and down low where it's easy for water to force its way into any improperly sealed wire opening or cheap casting.

Purchasing the sealed housing LED projector fogs that came on select Limited, Platinum and King Range versions will probably provide a longer life span. This option is more expensive but over the past six months I've experienced fog failures of two different brands. I've already sunk $200 into fog LED bulbs already... Also the projector fogs will better match the projector headlights, it may end up being a win win in design esthetics and longevity.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With regards the color temperature. Most LEDs are 6000k which is quite white. I’ve found that it washes out a lot of color in what it’s illuminating - particularly natural vegetation. I added yellow covers to my A pillar lights to warm things up a bit. Not sure how much it helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze