2022 10R80 Transmission Clunky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my 2022 Timberline for 6 months. It was built in the Spring not sure if it was before this TSB https://www.classaction.org/media/ford-tsb-222139.pdf

The vehicle has been awesome. No problems what so ever and the fit and finish are good. Just seems lately the transmission is a little clunky. Like when you accelerate and then stop when it down shifts sometimes you can hear clunks. Seems the clunks all occur when down shifting with no throttle or going slow. It up shifts good and runs good but these clunks are causing me concerns.

The other issue I hear is when at a drive up to a bank atm/teller where you have a wall the reflects the vehicle sound I hear a ever so slight whine like a pump coming from the transmission that increases when I press the gas. Maybe this is normal to have this slight sound. By no means can you hear it with the windows up or driving. So for now I will take this as a normal transmission sound.

Anyone experience weird clunks occasionally?

Wonder is the transmission is getting issues or the 10R80 is just a bad design?

Cant take it to the dealer as I cannot replicate the clunks on demand which they require.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my 2022 Timberline for 6 months. It was built in the Spring not sure if it was before this TSB https://www.classaction.org/media/ford-tsb-222139.pdf

The vehicle has been awesome. No problems what so ever and the fit and finish are good. Just seems lately the transmission is a little clunky. Like when you accelerate and then stop when it down shifts sometimes you can hear clunks. Seems the clunks all occur when down shifting with no throttle or going slow. It up shifts good and runs good but these clunks are causing me concerns.

The other issue I hear is when at a drive up to a bank atm/teller where you have a wall the reflects the vehicle sound I hear a ever so slight whine like a pump coming from the transmission that increases when I press the gas. Maybe this is normal to have this slight sound. By no means can you hear it with the windows up or driving. So for now I will take this as a normal transmission sound.

Cant take it to the dealer as I cannot replicate the clunks on demand which they require.
Mines does the same.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thr whine is normal on all Expeditions. The clunks are also sadly normal and all our vehicles with Fords 10 speed do that, I think it doesn't have time to think and changes gears at the last moment and ends up shoving the tranny into a gear. That won't hurt it will just make it a not so great shift.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thr whine is normal on all Expeditions. The clunks are also sadly normal and all our vehicles with Fords 10 speed do that, I think it doesn't have time to think and changes gears at the last moment and ends up shoving the tranny into a gear. That won't hurt it will just make it a not so great shift.
Curious if the 10 speeds in the GM's do the same thing since they are co-developed by Ford and GM. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15377492/ford-10-speed-automatic-transmission/

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a long term test by Edmunds on the Tahoe. They just started. They said it's not clunky, but we all know, it all starts with the noticeable 1-2 shift before the tranny starts doing funky shifts.

Expediter

Reaction score
I'm at 47,000 miles now. hate to tell you, but it's going to go from a "little" clunky to a "LOT" clunky. 2020; same here. Clunks especially in low-speed driving through the neighborhood and around town. Wait until you go to pass someone and instead of downshifting the transmission completely misses whatever gear it was looking for, starts grinding and the engine power drops...thats's a real treat! I like everything else about my Expedition but this is extremely disappointing and concerning. Having spoken face to face with other 10 speed owners, this is a common problem and KNOWN (by Ford) problem but what makes it absolutely infuriating is that the dealer dishes out the old "we can't replicate it" excuse. I don't believe that. When you have multiple customers bringing in vehicles with the same symptoms you know there is truly an issue and you know what the problem is. The real concern is they may not be able to actually fix it.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too have found with aggressive in town driving mine will shift hard down or up once in a while. Normal driving, I feel it is one of the smoothest shifting trans I have had. I have experienced what "Expediter" has experience twice, down shifting hard on a on ramp and it totally slip out, didn't experience any grinding with it. It just after a couple seconds shifted back in gear and never left a code or message. After the first time, I took mine in for another issue and told them about it, they ended up replacing some sensor unit( I will have to look up and update thread of exact part). 6 month passed, it happened again a couple weeks ago. Tried to duplicate it and couldn't. Kind of a hard break and then acceleration, don't suggest anyone try it. Both time on the on ramp for me, but usually normal driving down shift it doesn't happen.

jera0005

Reaction score
I've experienced the same rough shifting behavior, especially in neighborhood driving at low speeds. Please reference TSB 21-2357. My dealer performed the services listed in the TSB. I haven't had an issue for 8 months.