2022 304a Dual Exhaust Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, new here. Did a search and didn't find much info about exhaust for the stealth 304a Expeditions. Since it's the same dual exhaust as the Navigators I think we can use this option from Borla, but was hoping there were other options that aren't as expensive ($2k). https://www.borla.com/products/lincoln-navigator-cat-back-exhaust-system-140744

I've seen some posts about magnaflow and the drone so I think I'll stay away from that, but those systems are for single exhaust I believe. The Borla sounds pretty nice and they state there is no drone. But that price is killing me, especially if it does have drone.

I have a 2022 Stone Blue Limited Stealth Performance 304a Expedition. Had a 2019 Limited Stealth previous to this one.

Attachments

• PXL_20221018_185545282.jpg
    PXL_20221018_185545282.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 31

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience with Borla has always been pretty awesome, I put this second to Corsa. But having said that. I've spent essentially the last two years tinkering with the exhaust on this thing, trying to get it to sound good but not loud and with as little drone as possible. I can attest the magnaflow was absolutely miserable. I had to take the entire system off in one week, couldn't drive. My case is a little different as i have turbo adapters and Y-Pipes that really changes the air flow and sound, but even my exhaust shop that's done all the welding for me says these ecoboosts are miserable with exhaust. He replaces factory mufflers for Ford dealer around us all the time as these things are notorious for burning up mufflers and blowing out the packing.

Having said all that, I've experimented with roughly 4 different mufflers now, two different resonators, and have gotten a little better each time. Right now I have an SPD stage2 resonator, a corsa pro series muffler, and just ordered another corsa resonator. So I'll likely be running two resonators and a corsa muffler. Can't fit any more but I hope this gets me there.

Right now is the best it's sounded since I first started tinkering with it, but it is still far too loud at cold startup, and during heavy acceleration. It sounds much better now with light acceleration and driving. But heavy acceleration sounds an awful lot like sitting next to a straight pipe lambo. I guess my point is I hope your experience is better but these things are PITA's from an exhaust perspective. @LokiWolf knows my plight!

OP
OP
mdecillis

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience with Borla has always been pretty awesome, I put this second to Corsa. But having said that. I've spent essentially the last two years tinkering with the exhaust on this thing, trying to get it to sound good but not loud and with as little drone as possible. I can attest the magnaflow was absolutely miserable. I had to take the entire system off in one week, couldn't drive. My case is a little different as i have turbo adapters and Y-Pipes that really changes the air flow and sound, but even my exhaust shop that's done all the welding for me says these ecoboosts are miserable with exhaust. He replaces factory mufflers for Ford dealer around us all the time as these things are notorious for burning up mufflers and blowing out the packing.

Having said all that, I've experimented with roughly 4 different mufflers now, two different resonators, and have gotten a little better each time. Right now I have an SPD stage2 resonator, a corsa pro series muffler, and just ordered another corsa resonator. So I'll likely be running two resonators and a corsa muffler. Can't fit any more but I hope this gets me there.

Right now is the best it's sounded since I first started tinkering with it, but it is still far too loud at cold startup, and during heavy acceleration. It sounds much better now with light acceleration and driving. But heavy acceleration sounds an awful lot like sitting next to a straight pipe lambo. I guess my point is I hope your experience is better but these things are PITA's from an exhaust perspective. @LokiWolf knows my plight!
Thanks for your detailed reply. I like the way the Borla sounds (video clip is in the link above), not too loud and seems to sound really good. But no way to hear what it's like at highway speeds.

I rather a bolt-on setup so that if I ever sell it, it's easier to put it back to stock.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, but i've had too many issues in the past with clamps. Even with systems that used clamps, I used to go get a few tacks put in just for safety sake. Especially exhausts like these, in areas like Colorado where the metal can go from -5 to 300+ degrees in 10 minutes. That expansion and contracts often loosens clamps over time.

My big test was towing a 7k lb travel trailer last summer, in 50mph winds. my ears were sort of numb after 2 hours. Keeping it around 2-3k RPM for long periods of time was pretty bad. It's also so different for trucks were there isn't really a cab over half the exhaust. I think that makes a big difference.

OP
OP
mdecillis

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent points...appreciate it! Is the stock exhaust in there with clamps or would it have to be cut out anyway? Because if it does, then I would just have the new one welded in.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
Don't do it.
You'll hate the borla. It'll sound like bare a** on an ecoboost.
these american exhaust companies do *not* know how to make a turbo v6 sound good.
Honestly, the stock exhaust flows exceptionally well. Better off spending the money on an intercooler and getting rid of the garbage stock intercooler.

OP
OP
mdecillis

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't do it.
You'll hate the borla. It'll sound like bare a** on an ecoboost.
these american exhaust companies do *not* know how to make a turbo v6 sound good.
Honestly, the stock exhaust flows exceptionally well. Better off spending the money on an intercooler and getting rid of the garbage stock intercooler.
It sounds pretty good in the video though. I don't want overly aggressive, that's what I have my Shelby's for, just want something a little extra.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
It sounds pretty good in the video though. I don't want overly aggressive, that's what I have my Shelby's for, just want something a little extra.

everything sounds different in real life, and under load. And in the car as well. Having a SUV, there will be drone. It'll be louder in the cabin than you want, and definitely louder in the cabin than say a pickup truck.
There are maybe a small handful, like 2 or 3 ecoboost aftermarket exhaust systems that sound good. The rest are off-the-shelf mufflers cobbled together and made to fit the platform. Borla, magnaflow, MBRP all fit the latter.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent points...appreciate it! Is the stock exhaust in there with clamps or would it have to be cut out anyway? Because if it does, then I would just have the new one welded in.
If I remember correctly, it was mostly clamped. I still had to cut the rear section off because I didn't have a lift and couldn't get it over the rear axle shafts and frame components. Damn near damaged the brake lines, so be careful there. They are routed in a very precarious way right on top of the assemblies. The tack welds in the past were easy, even if you have to take them off, you can cut through them with a few dremel metal cutting bits.