2022 Check ELSD - Service Vehicle Soon?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, posting in exasperation. 2022 SPP as you can see in my info below, don't even have 3K miles yet. Driving home from work today (roughly 15 minutes in), wet roads turning to snow, in 4A - not 4H - I get two messages scrolling through my center screen. First says 'Check electronic limited slip differential', then 'Service vehicle soon'. And I now have a wrench in lower right corner of cluster.

Anybody seen or heard of this? I have the ELSD option but did not have it enabled - I was driving in Normal mode, with 4A enabled. Not pushing it. Most of trip around 45-55 mph. Not towing. Tires within a psi or so of each other.

Thanks in advance. Uggh! I hate service departments.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, posting in exasperation. 2022 SPP as you can see in my info below, don't even have 3K miles yet. Driving home from work today (roughly 15 minutes in), wet roads turning to snow, in 4A - not 4H - I get two messages scrolling through my center screen. First says 'Check electronic limited slip differential', then 'Service vehicle soon'. And I now have a wrench in lower right corner of cluster.

Anybody seen or heard of this? I have the ELSD option but did not have it enabled - I was driving in Normal mode, with 4A enabled. Not pushing it. Most of trip around 45-55 mph. Not towing. Tires within a psi or so of each other.

Thanks in advance. Uggh! I hate service departments.

Wouldn't an eLSD always be enabled?

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct... the only option (at least on my 2018) is to lock rear diff with that button in center console.
I have that button in my center console as well, and I did not have it enabled.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thread below has some background that may be helpful. Maybe a bad wheel speed sensor, loose connector, etc...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ELSD is always active if equiped on any 4th Gen, unless it is in a error state because of heat, or sensed pressure is less than demanded for a certain period of time. The button on the center console is "Locked". Notice I put it in quotes, because it is not a true lock, but increased clutch pressure to simulate a lock.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thread below has some background that may be helpful. Maybe a bad wheel speed sensor, loose connector, etc...

Thank you @scottdm . Unfortunately this chain seems a mix of different error messages. My undercarriage is clean so would be disappointing if a sensor issue so new, but who knows? I suppose one of my next steps is to see if the wrench remains in my dash display when I run it next.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ELSD is always active if equiped on any 4th Gen, unless it is in a error state because of heat, or sensed pressure is less than demanded for a certain period of time. The button on the center console is "Locked". Notice I put it in quotes, because it is not a true lock, but increased clutch pressure to simulate a lock.
@LokiWolf , so what is the difference between active and locked?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf , so what is the difference between active and locked?
It's normal operation(active) is it engages the clutches when it senses slip side to side. Otherwise we have open diffs. The advantage vs a Physical LSD, is how quickly it can engage and disengage based on the computers instructions. In my experience it works really well under most on load situations.

The big thing to pick up, is that locked is not like the locking rears on say the 150, Ranger, or 250, as those are electronically engaged physical locking, not clutch based.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's normal operation(active) is it engages the clutches when it senses slip side to side. Otherwise we have open diffs. The advantage vs a Physical LSD, is how quickly it can engage and disengage based on the computers instructions. In my experience it works really well under most on load situations.

The big thing to pick up, is that locked is not like the locking rears on say the 150, Ranger, or 250, as those are electronically engaged physical locking, not clutch based.
I wish the eLSD were an option on the F150.

I don't think I'm ever going to be in a situation where I actually need a rear locker but I could benefit from a Torsen LSD or an (actual) eLSD on a more frequent basis.