2022 Check ELSD - Service Vehicle Soon?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf, I apologize - I think I missed this response from you the first time around. Thank you for your explanation. Based on this, I'm guessing what I'm doing when I enable my center console button is forcing the clutches to engage full time (until they overheat). I agree with your assumption that something is actually wrong - I can't believe I overheated them in that short of time (and I wasn't driving hard, and roads were mostly wet, and I have brand new Nokian Hakkapaliitas so shouldn't have been slipping much). I don't know what to do next besides wait for it to happen again. Even then, I don't believe it retains the error code. I don't want to end up stranded before it can be addressed.
Take a picture EVERYTIME it happens. By default that will be time stamped. Bring it up with the dealer, and if they don't follow through, call Ford. I feel like it is something that is causing a few of these to throw this code more regularly than others. Wondering if it is a fluid level thing? Also, should not leave you stranded, as the ELSD fails in the open position.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a picture EVERYTIME it happens. By default that will be time stamped. Bring it up with the dealer, and if they don't follow through, call Ford. I feel like it is something that is causing a few of these to throw this code more regularly than others. Wondering if it is a fluid level thing? Also, should not leave you stranded, as the ELSD fails in the open position.
Thanks - good ideas. I did take multiple pictures the first time around, making sure to capture odometer as well as getting the timestamp.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely it has ZERO to do with 4A.

Go drive around in 2WD and drive aggressively or on wet surfaces and see if you can trigger the error.

I like the idea of aggressive driving in 2H to try to provoke the error.
No need to hold off for better weather to test the 2H possibility, @dnprall and @LokiWolf . Driving home from work last night (again, less than 10 mile trip), I got the error messages again - this time I was in 2H the entire trip. "Check electronic limited slip differential", alternating with "Service vehicle soon" and the wrench icon in lower right corner of dash. Everything was cleared when I started up this morning. Roughly 90 miles from when it happened the first time. I got pics of dash display again.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No need to hold off for better weather to test the 2H possibility, @dnprall and @LokiWolf . Driving home from work last night (again, less than 10 mile trip), I got the error messages again - this time I was in 2H the entire trip. "Check electronic limited slip differential", alternating with "Service vehicle soon" and the wrench icon in lower right corner of dash. Everything was cleared when I started up this morning. Roughly 90 miles from when it happened the first time. I got pics of dash display again.

Which of these messages are you getting?

Check Electronic Limited Slip Differential
Displays when the system requires service.Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Electronic Limited Slip Differential Off See Owner's Manual
Displays when the system requires service.Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Electronic Limited Slip Differential Restored to Normal
Displays when the electronic limited slip differential system resumes normal function.

Electronic Limited Slip Differential Temporarily Disabled
Displays if the electronic limited slip differential system temporarily turns off due to overheating or an undersized spare tire. If you have an undersized spare tire installed, replace the spare tire with a full-sized tire as soon as possible. If not, stop the vehicle in a safe location and allow the system to cool.

Electronic Limited Slip Differential Reduced Torque
Displays if the electronic limited slip differential has limited functionality.This could be due to an undersized spare tire or caused by the system overheating.If you have an undersized spare tire installed, replace the spare tire with a full-sized tire as soon as possible.If you do not have an undersized spare tire installed, the vehicle has reduced functionality.Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Electronic Limited Slip Differential Locking Feature Not Available
Displays when you select a drive mode that does not allow the electronic limited slip differential to turn on. This may also display when the electronic limited slip differential has a fault and the vehicle requests the locking feature

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which of these messages are you getting?

Check Electronic Limited Slip Differential
@rd618 , I get the first message on your list - "Check electronic limited slip differential", alternating with "Service vehicle soon" and the wrench icon in lower right corner of dash. Everything clears the next time I drive the vehicle. I currently have roughly 2900 miles on it. Last night was the second time in 6 days that it came on.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@rd618 , I get the first message on your list - "Check electronic limited slip differential", alternating with "Service vehicle soon" and the wrench icon in lower right corner of dash. Everything clears the next time I drive the vehicle. I currently have roughly 2900 miles on it. Last night was the second time in 6 days that it came on.
Service center is your best bet. Something is faulting. Could be a host of potential issues. Best to have them check it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Called it. Nothing to do with 4A, just the ELSD itself having an issue.

chaimyg

Reaction score
Called it. Nothing to do with 4A, just the ELSD itself having an issue.
I believe I have a similar eLSD/ABS issue, I just never got errors during driving only at startup and when it's raining, my biggest issue is that the errors disable cruise control/pcs/bsm/auto hold etc. even the seat memory is disabled...