2022 Expedition Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolvman83

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Expedition, Timberline, without the Max Tow option. Has anyone had any luck installing a brake controller? The part specified by Ford for my 2022 does not fit (the controller didn't fit in the available spot)- the dealer tried to install and wasn't able to. After removing the blank from the dash where the controller goes, there wasn't any wires behind the blank, either. It seems that the '21 F-150 brake controller might fit, but the dealer won't attempt since Ford doesn't specify it'll fit. Appreciate any help!

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are only a handful of people who even have a 2022 at this time so odds are you likely won't find someone who has done that yet. Having said that, there are a lot of smart folks on this forum so I'm sure someone will have some incite. You would think the 21/22 F150 brake controller would be the same as Ford wants to share parts where they can. Not having wires behind that blank doesn't sound good IMO as I thought the older (18-21) had that wiring regardless of the tow package.

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Was this part JL3Z19H332AA? I see this part is listed as fitting both a 2021 and a 2022.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
I would buy a 3rd party brake controller (better than Fords factory one) and wire it in. There should be a blue wire somewhere under the dash labeled "brake". It won't be connected to anything, just a blue wire taped up that is clearly labeled. That is the blue wire needed for the brake controller from the 7 pin connector at the hitch. Your also will need to find your brake light wire from the switch.. switch is located above the brake pedal. You will need 12v power and it needs to be a 30 amp auto reset fuse wired in with the positive 12 volts.

Keep in mind that blue wire will only be there if your vehicle came stock with a trailer hitch with a 7 pin connector for trailer lights.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would buy a 3rd party brake controller (better than Fords factory one) and wire it in. There should be a blue wire somewhere under the dash labeled "brake". It won't be connected to anything, just a blue wire taped up that is clearly labeled. That is the blue wire needed for the brake controller from the 7 pin connector at the hitch. Your also will need to find your brake light wire from the switch.. switch is located above the brake pedal. You will need 12v power and it needs to be a 30 amp auto reset fuse wired in with the positive 12 volts.

Keep in mind that blue wire will only be there if your vehicle came stock with a trailer hitch with a 7 pin connector for trailer lights.
Curious why you think a 3rd party would be better than the one Ford provides? What does a 3rd party do that the Ford doesn't?

I have used the Redarc several times and like it and have a prodigy in another vehicle but can't come up with any reasons why they are better than the factory option?

Redwater

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Expedition, Timberline, without the Max Tow option. Has anyone had any luck installing a brake controller? The part specified by Ford for my 2022 does not fit (the controller didn't fit in the available spot)- the dealer tried to install and wasn't able to. After removing the blank from the dash where the controller goes, there wasn't any wires behind the blank, either. It seems that the '21 F-150 brake controller might fit, but the dealer won't attempt since Ford doesn't specify it'll fit. Appreciate any help!
I got Expedition timberline without HD towing package. I asked dealer install trailer brake. Technician checked and they said factory already installed, that’s why no wires behind the blank.

They showed me how to see brake controller on cluster. On Cluster Please go to towing and choose towing status. And you ll see gain for set up brake controller.

Attachments

• DFE614EC-8CFE-445A-BDD3-E791AB50D505.jpeg
    DFE614EC-8CFE-445A-BDD3-E791AB50D505.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 68

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got Expedition timberline without HD towing package. I asked dealer install trailer brake. Technician checked and they said factory already installed, that’s why no wires behind the blank.

They showed me how to see brake controller on cluster. On Cluster Please go to towing and choose towing status. And you ll see gain for set up brake controller.
You have to have the hardware on the dash otherwise you can't activate the brake or adjust the gain. If you don't have the hardware then you don't have it and what you see in the display is just the graphical representation of the brake controller.

Redwater

Reaction score
I got expedition 21, if you don’t install brake controller, you can’t see gain on screen.

They said when connect trailer, towing will be activated. Then use up&down on steeling wheel to set up gain level. I ll connect trailer and let you know. Thanks

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got expedition 21, if you don’t install brake controller, you can’t see gain on screen.

They said when connect trailer, towing will be activated. Then use up&down on steeling wheel to set up gain level. I ll connect trailer and let you know. Thanks
HOw do you activate the brake without the controller buttons, there are emergency times when you need to activate just the trailer brakes, I guess you would not have that functionality? Maybe the computer knows better than we do and can handle those situations better than we can? Very interesting.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HOw do you activate the brake without the controller buttons, there are emergency times when you need to activate just the trailer brakes, I guess you would not have that functionality? Maybe the computer knows better than we do and can handle those situations better than we can? Very interesting.
No way in hell does the computer know when to emergency brake.

There have been a few times driving along the East Coast in Delaware when a gust off the ocean starts shaking my camper. A slight squeeze of the trailer brake and quick press of the accelerator puts everything back in line.

No computer will know that trick and can sense outside influences to trigger it.

Sure, I can see the computer knowing when to brake the trailer/camper, but that is only in normal slow down and stop of a light or in traffic.

Comments like above form the dealer tech are from people who have never really towed anything seriously.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357