2022 Expy announced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My feelings exactly, I do not like “drilling down” through menus to get to a function while driving.
Absolutely agree. I've got the 12" screen in my Ram 1500, and if I had to buy it again I'd get the smaller one. It looks great, and it's very handy when running Android auto for maps and having the audio up at the same time, but having to jump into menus just to toggle the heated/cooled seats is annoying as hell, and dangerous taking eyes off of the road. Give me physical buttons any day.

Defyant

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One reason we ditched the 2020 Explorer was the giant IPad-like interface. The new expedition will have an even bigger one. No thanks! That thing was glitch and would lock up.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you stick with the xlt like you currently have, you won't have to worry about a tablet screen. Only certain ltds and platinum have the 15in screen. It's funny how the screen is the most polarizing thing here and most ppl complaining about it don't even have the fully loaded trims currently. Again, if you dnt want the 15in screen, don't get it. The std 12 in screen has buttons you can use.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One reason we ditched the 2020 Explorer was the giant IPad-like interface. The new expedition will have an even bigger one. No thanks! That thing was glitch and would lock up.
COMPLETELY different tech than what the Explorer has/had. The explorer got an after thought. It is Sync 3, with a bigger screen, and an APIM that can't really handle the display size. It has gotten MUCH better with updates.

The 2022 Expedition has Sync 4, with a COMPLETELY different APIM. The 4A(Larger Screen) is the same display as the one found in the MachE, and while it has had a few teething problems but in general has been well received, and works well. Do I wish they had but 2 knobs, yes, but happy they included at least the one.

Again, you in no way can compare the large tablet screen in the 2020+ Explorer to the new screens in the 2022 Expedition. Different software and hardware.

bobvance2005

Reaction score
I love the screen in my Tesla (Model 3) but I love the phsyical buttons in my Expedition. Don't know why, but physical buttons feels right for the Expy.

That said, the world will go to screens for everything - gonna have to get used to it.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I for one will be waiting to see the stance of the Timberline models...not to buy though. The Timberline model might reveal a better way for our older versions to gain a little lift using factory engineered and field-tested parts. That is, as long as it involves suspension components and not different front and/or half shafts. Assuming these come out after the first of the year, you can reasonably predict that there'll be some enterprising Expedition owner who will figure out if it is an affordable alternative (complete with parts list) that keeps the wheels centered in the wheel wells.

Defyant

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
COMPLETELY different tech than what the Explorer has/had. The explorer got an after thought. It is Sync 3, with a bigger screen, and an APIM that can't really handle the display size. It has gotten MUCH better with updates.

The 2022 Expedition has Sync 4, with a COMPLETELY different APIM. The 4A(Larger Screen) is the same display as the one found in the MachE, and while it has had a few teething problems but in general has been well received, and works well. Do I wish they had but 2 knobs, yes, but happy they included at least the one.

Again, you in no way can compare the large tablet screen in the 2020+ Explorer to the new screens in the 2022 Expedition. Different software and hardware.
The system in the current Expedition is similar to what we have in the ‘19 Mustang Bullitt. We like it. Has what we need. I’m glad they upgraded for the upcoming Expedition.

ST had the B&O sound system. Not really impressed for the price. I’m exploring upgrades to the basic system the Expedition came with.

The ST was comparable in price with gadgets and performance vs Expeditions practicality and towing. By the time we are ready for next vehicle, the twitches in the tech should be fixed. $75k and up fetches an expedition with nice blend of tech and performance. I found we didn’t use most of it in the ST though.

I’ll make my own tweaks.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My favorite part about "drilling down" through menus is the simple adjustment of the screen brightness. While I'm generally running Apple CarPlay, I need to press the "home" button in Apple CarPlay, then scroll sideways to the Ford app (which switches the Sync system to the Ford screen instead of Apple), there I press the Home button, and scroll sideways to get to the Display icon. Click that, scroll down to Brightness, and finally = adjust the brightness.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the instrument cluster and the Sync screen absurdly bright at night, with the only remedy being a manual adjustment.