2022 HD towing package radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyra

Reaction score
Ordered and received my 2022 Limited expedition 304A with HD tow package. I had assumed that would include an upgraded radiator, is this not the case?? It had been included in previous years and is included in the 2023 HD tow package. There was not an (add on) box that I saw to upgrade the radiator like you can on the 23’s so just assumed it came with the package. I thought it was listed in the package when I ordered but the 2022 order guide that I just saw says it was omitted?? Had planned to get a travel trailer ( the reason I added the tow package) and now concerned I will have issues.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
Order guide is pretty vague with regards to this. I'd presume with the 3.5HO it would have the heavy duty radiator. The only place I can find the words "heavy duty radiator" are on the Timberline description.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ordered and received my 2022 Limited expedition 304A with HD tow package. I had assumed that would include an upgraded radiator, is this not the case?? It had been included in previous years and is included in the 2023 HD tow package. There was not an (add on) box that I saw to upgrade the radiator like you can on the 23’s so just assumed it came with the package. I thought it was listed in the package when I ordered but the 2022 order guide that I just saw says it was omitted?? Had planned to get a travel trailer ( the reason I added the tow package) and now concerned I will have issues.

where does the order guide say that the heavy duty radiator is excluded from the 304a with HT tow?

ExpyNole

Reaction score
where does the order guide say that the heavy duty radiator is excluded from the 304a with HT tow?

It neither specifies included nor excluded on the build sheet or window stickers. But the fact that it doesn't mention included in the build guide or window sticker sounds like it isn't.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
Only way to check would be to get part numbers using VIN from say a XLT and a 304a Limited and see if the radiator part number matches.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
OUCH! I know I would be PISSED. I honestly don't feel cooling is adequate with the heavy duty radiator. The radiator is also cooling the transmission which is the issue in my opinion.

The F150s seem to have no problems with cooling, and they're often under higher load due to poorer aero and often worked harder towing and hauling things. Never had a temp issue hauling a 30' travel trailer with our '17 F150, and that was on 3.31 gears at 35" tires.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The F150s seem to have no problems with cooling, and they're often under higher load due to poorer aero and often worked harder towing and hauling things. Never had a temp issue hauling a 30' travel trailer with our '17 F150, and that was on 3.31 gears at 35" tires.
Your F150 doesn't have the same transmission as the expedition(I can't remember when the f150 got the 10spd). The expedition doesn't use a true transmission oil cooler, it used a water to oil heat exchanger. So the coolant goes to the heat exchanger and heats/cools the oil. So, whatever the water temp happens to be is what the trans fluid temp will be unless the oil is really hot like when towing up a steep hill, then the Transmission fluid is going to be heating up the engine coolant. I have gotten into the yellow zone with my expedition, it doesn't cool under load as well as the f150. The F150 has a dedicate transmission cooler, oil to air. I believe the raptor some how has the heat exchanger AND another transmission oil cooler. I think the expedition would benefit from this for towing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK