2022 HD towing package radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
Your F150 doesn't have the same transmission as the expedition(I can't remember when the f150 got the 10spd). The expedition doesn't use a true transmission oil cooler, it used a water to oil heat exchanger. So the coolant goes to the heat exchanger and heats/cools the oil. So, whatever the water temp happens to be is what the trans fluid temp will be unless the oil is really hot like when towing up a steep hill, then the Transmission fluid is going to be heating up the engine coolant. I have gotten into the yellow zone with my expedition, it doesn't cool under load as well as the f150. The F150 has a dedicate transmission cooler, oil to air. I believe the raptor some how has the heat exchanger AND another transmission oil cooler. I think the expedition would benefit from this for towing.

the 2017 3.5 ecoboost+ f150s all have the exact same transmission as us. 10R80. Gearing is probably identical too. Nothing changes between this gen expedition and same year F150's with regards to powertrain/drivetrain. We just have IRS in teh back but same size ring gear/housings even.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 2017 3.5 ecoboost+ f150s all have the exact same transmission as us. 10R80. Gearing is probably identical too. Nothing changes between this gen expedition and same year F150's with regards to powertrain/drivetrain. We just have IRS in teh back but same size ring gear/housings even.
I have definitely gotten the transmission hot in my expedition when towing, and several others on here have noted the same thing. The raptor uses a different method of cooling the transmission but no body has determined if it can be added to the expedition. I have no idea how the F150 does it. I also thought I had heard the radiator in the f150 was bigger, no idea if that is true.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have definitely gotten the transmission hot in my expedition when towing, and several others on here have noted the same thing. The raptor uses a different method of cooling the transmission but no body has determined if it can be added to the expedition. I have no idea how the F150 does it. I also thought I had heard the radiator in the f150 was bigger, no idea if that is true.
You could check the part nums on radiators and such for the Expy vs the Timberline Expy.
I have the timberline and it has most of the powertrain stuff from the raptor. Like intercooler fans, etc.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
instead of guessing, i just searched ford parts website for my vin (304a with HD Tow) and a for sale Timberline 2022 with HD Tow (window sticker confirmed) both vin numbers show RAD250 - Standard Radiator as the part.

Excluding vin specific, parts.ford.com lists 2 radiator options, RAD250 (standard, and RAD251 (Heavy Duty).

seems to be almost the exact same part, so not sure what the difference is. both offer oil coolers, both have dual fans, both have same dimensions, and both have same hose connections. maybe fin design varies, who knows.

smstroben

Reaction score
So many ways to decipher this. Could be they are going with Heavy Duty as standard thus having to remove "the option" from the tow package.
I was thinking the same thing but they added verbiage to only the Timberline. Maybe other trims got the standard HD radiator from 2021 and the Timberline got something bigger?
1670611981601.png

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
instead of guessing, i just searched ford parts website for my vin (304a with HD Tow) and a for sale Timberline 2022 with HD Tow (window sticker confirmed) both vin numbers show RAD250 - Standard Radiator as the part.

Excluding vin specific, parts.ford.com lists 2 radiator options, RAD250 (standard, and RAD251 (Heavy Duty).

seems to be almost the exact same part, so not sure what the difference is. both offer oil coolers, both have dual fans, both have same dimensions, and both have same hose connections. maybe fin design varies, who knows.
I did the same search using my VIN as well (XLT with HD Tow). Also the RAD250. When you search the 2021 it lists RAD130 for standard and RAD152 for HD tow. So the 2022's did get an updated version over the prior years it seems.

Arlin

Reaction score
Note the 22 & 23 Expedition order guides list 26mm (1.0236 inch) radiator under HD trailer tow package for all except say Timberline. Yesteryear this 1" radiator meant standard cooling, with 2" the standard for the HD towing package. Except I recall that Ford went back then to the thinner 1" for my 2004 Expedition 4X4 NBX with HD towing package & 5.4L engine. Sounds like Ford cost cutting all over again--Ha! In fairness, suppose the proper amount of cooling for HD towing is what matters--radiator width, now dual electric radiator fans that adjust to cooling needs, modern water pump capacities, newer oils, grill structure & adjusting louvers, better vehicle external & underneath air flow, more efficient AC compressors, separate transmission & engine oil cooling, etc., likely factor in. Also recall old Ford proving grounds films where F150 cooling tests by Ford engineers with prototypes/mules were the most strenuous imaginable.

Last edited: