2022 Max payload numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coyotemojo

Reaction score
Hi all, looking to custom order an Expy Max best equipped to tow a 6k lbs trailer with tongue weight of around 750lbs.

Trying to figure out estimated payloads for different configurations. Does anyone know how to get max payload in a 2022? Is it xlt max tow with no pano and captains 2nd row? Or does limited with heavy duty independent suspension possibly have higher payload capacity?

StephenPT

Reaction score
The lower the trim level and the less options you have will increase your payload. Somewhere on this forum is a spreadsheet members with their payload numbers and their trim level + options...

OP
OP
C

coyotemojo

Reaction score
I definitely read through that whole thread. Just didn't see any 2022 models. Is there no difference between a 2019 and a 2022 model?

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2022's are just getting to dealer lots and some lucky folks. So there isn't going to be lots of payload data on them yet. I'd expect the payloads to be similar to previous model years but won't know that until some people can post their payload stickers.

As for towing, the Ford towing guide states that the non-HD tow are limited to 6,000 lbs towing and 600 lbs tongue weight (except for the 4X2 Max which is 6,300 and 630). If you want more you need the HD tow package. Now could it do more, perhaps but that isn't Ford's line.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220318-192456.png
    Screenshot_20220318-192456.png
    550.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
C

coyotemojo

Reaction score
I'm definitely decided on the max with HD tow package. It's the payload number I'm most concerned about, since we're a family of 5 (700lbs and growing) plus a trailer that is around 750lbs tongue weight when loaded. In that great thread on payload I saw some configurations have over 1900 lbs payload which would be amazing.

It feels like flying blind trying to order a vehicle for a specific purpose but not being able to know the specs for that vehicle. And I've literally had multiple sales folks tell me it doesn't matter or otherwise show they have no idea what I'm talking about.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm definitely decided on the max with HD tow package. It's the payload number I'm most concerned about, since we're a family of 5 (700lbs and growing) plus a trailer that is around 750lbs tongue weight when loaded. In that great thread on payload I saw some configurations have over 1900 lbs payload which would be amazing.

It feels like flying blind trying to order a vehicle for a specific purpose but not being able to know the specs for that vehicle. And I've literally had multiple sales folks tell me it doesn't matter or otherwise show they have no idea what I'm talking about.
It's good to see you doing the research. Most people don't and just believe the salesman or just focus on the max towing number. As you know payload is king!

Happy Dog

Reaction score
Our ‘20 with the heavy duty tow package. It has a payload of 1,716#. We have 400# of people/dogs, 800# tongue weight,100# of stuff. The payload is our limiting factor and will likely be yours as well.
Only carry things in the car that you really need while driving
The rest goes in the trailer.

fothco

Reaction score
I understand that the Ford Chart on Heavy duty Towing etc shows the 2 rear end // diff options . 1 is for 9000 lbs .

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, looking to custom order an Expy Max best equipped to tow a 6k lbs trailer with tongue weight of around 750lbs.

Trying to figure out estimated payloads for different configurations. Does anyone know how to get max payload in a 2022? Is it xlt max tow with no pano and captains 2nd row? Or does
Generally the less equipment you have, the higher the payload. It's hard to get a good sense of how various options will impact payload, but the Google sheet is a very good start. Another option might be to visit dealerships that have vehicles with configurations you're considering in stock and checking the door stickers. Good luck with the configuration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360