2022 Redesign thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

antho

Reaction score
Hello,
My wife currently has a 2020 Limited expedition. I have a 2021 Ford F150 that has the new interior and its really making the Expedition seem dated on the interior. We are bouncing around the idea of ordering a 2022 but there is honestly one thing keeping me from ordering. That front end. The 2021 redesign really looks terrible in my opinion. They basically took the headlights and ran some plastic bars across them and made the headlights LED reflectors. This feels like a step back from the 2020 Led headlights. My 2021 F150 has adaptive DSS headlights and they are awesome. Why would ford skip the expedition on advancing the headlight technology? Did the expedition just come too late in the game and suffer tech due to the chip shortage? I get it, Seems silly but thats honestly the only thing keeping us from ordering.21-22.png

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My theory, it's a way to save money for research and development for the new model due in 3 yrs. Same thing when the explorer was refreshed in 2017.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Hello,
My wife currently has a 2020 Limited expedition. I have a 2021 Ford F150 that has the new interior and its really making the Expedition seem dated on the interior. We are bouncing around the idea of ordering a 2022 but there is honestly one thing keeping me from ordering. That front end. The 2021 redesign really looks terrible in my opinion. They basically took the headlights and ran some plastic bars across them and made the headlights LED reflectors. This feels like a step back from the 2020 Led headlights. My 2021 F150 has adaptive DSS headlights and they are awesome. Why would ford skip the expedition on advancing the headlight technology? Did the expedition just come too late in the game and suffer tech due to the chip shortage? I get it, Seems silly but thats honestly the only thing keeping us from ordering.View attachment 72484
My thoughts, they all went downhill in 2018. The 22s are ugly as sin IMO. Still to this day the 15-17s hold a special place in my heart, they actually look like an SUV is supposed to not this minivan soccer mom SUV crap lol

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. I have a 2018 Expedition Platinum. The grills on the 2022 Expedition Platinum are a huge step back. The 2018 Grill is so much more 'classy', and the LCD Headlights are direct projector type, but the 2022 Headlights are reflectors...probably not as effective. That being said, I do like the 2022 Platinum features, and I am planning on ordering one this week. I like the new dash, Blue Cruise,the 15.5" screen on the center stack, the 22 speaker B&O systems, etc. I just can't believe that the designers threw such a crappy front end for the 2022 model year.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks are subjective. Is it the best looking design I have seen? No. Is it the worst? No. Is my purchase decision based on the external looks of a vehicle? No. Do I care what others think it looks like? No.

I base my decisions on what capability the vehicle provides for my family, simple as that. You spend way more time in the vehicle looking at it then staring at the outside.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MY22's front grill is ugly, everything else is on point for a refresh. When they make the Expy with PowerBoost, I'm trading my current one in immediately

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Looks are subjective. Is it the best looking design I have seen? No. Is it the worst? No. Is my purchase decision based on the external looks of a vehicle? No. Do I care what others think it looks like? No.

I base my decisions on what capability the vehicle provides for my family, simple as that. You spend way more time in the vehicle looking at it then staring at the outside.
I look at the outside of my truck way more than the inside. All I see inside is a dash, steering wheel, and windshield.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they do a quick redesign of the front end for 23.