2023 Expy with CCD and Superspring coil spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2011 Expy that I tow with. It has the towing package and I use a WDH. The trailer is about 6500 lbs. The Supersprings were a huge help eliminating sag even with the WDH. It tows much better. Less wallowing/porpoising.
I have a 2023 on order. Limited Stealth Package (Not performance) with the CCD suspension.
I'll be towing the same trailer with a WDH. I want to use the Supersprings again.
My question, will the CCD get "confused" due to the increased spring rate created by the Supersprings?
Are any of you using Supersprings with CCD?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the rear super spring spacers with the CCD and I've never noticed any issues. Essentially as you probably know there are some small movement sensors on the chassis that measure up and down movement, I don't think the spacers will affect anything for sure while you're not towing, as normal driving shouldn't compress the springs enough to really matter. Last summer I pulled a trailer that was roughly 7500lbs dry weight, and never had any issues with the comfort or ride of the vehicle. Can't say the same though about the side winds and vacuum created by semi's passing me in 40-60mph head winds on the way home. The combination of these large but light trailers and this vehicle was pretty scary, and I've been towing most of my life. Trucks and some of the other larger SUV's especially with airbags handle that better.

I think you'll be just fine, and FYI I've had my spacers in for over 2 yrs with no issues.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback 5280. I'm happy to hear you have good results.
Can't wait for delivery

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
I've got a 2011 Expy that I tow with. It has the towing package and I use a WDH. The trailer is about 6500 lbs. The Supersprings were a huge help eliminating sag even with the WDH. It tows much better. Less wallowing/porpoising.
I have a 2023 on order. Limited Stealth Package (Not performance) with the CCD suspension.
I'll be towing the same trailer with a WDH. I want to use the Supersprings again.
My question, will the CCD get "confused" due to the increased spring rate created by the Supersprings?
Are any of you using Supersprings with CCD?
Jimmy, no issues or trouble at all using Super Springs Sumo coil urethane spring inserts at all 4 corners, with CCD suspension. They really help tame the porpoising when maxing out the tow weight, and they are an inexpensive fix to a really big problem. I would also highly recommend a Hensley Hitch, over a normal equalizer hitch, especially, if towing very heavy TT & such. See some of my previous posts on this issue. No, the ccd will not be confused with spring inserts, but your overall ride will be slightly firmer, and believe it or not, the back end will still have some bounce to it.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Bullet.
Yeah I'm just looking for improvements. Nothing's perfect. I've had the supersprings in my '11 Expy for so long now that I've forgotten how it used to ride.
As far as the Hensly goes. That's a little too pricey for me. Those things are like $2k. They're amazing at eliminating sway. No argument there.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
Thanks, Bullet.
Yeah I'm just looking for improvements. Nothing's perfect. I've had the supersprings in my '11 Expy for so long now that I've forgotten how it used to ride.
As far as the Hensly goes. That's a little too pricey for me. Those things are like $2k. They're amazing at eliminating sway. No argument there.
Oh I get it on being pricy, but I have never had the trailer sway warning activate, & my family is worth an extra $2,000, or whatever the price difference is. Additionally, they have a 12 month payment system. It’s quiet amazing physics & geometry.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh I get it on being pricy, but I have never had the trailer sway warning activate, & my family is worth an extra $2,000, or whatever the price difference is. Additionally, they have a 12 month payment system. It’s quiet amazing physics & geometry.
Never had any way. Cross winds, passing semis, emergency lane changes. Nothing. Who knows. Maybe the combination of the new Expy and the trailer might be more sway prone. I won't know until I get it hooked up.