2023 Tailgate issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel26

Reaction score
I am loving my new truck but do have one issue and wondering if anyone knows a quick fix or if its something I have to have the shop adjust. The power lift gate will sometimes not open. It will unlock and I can do it manually but the motor stops after it unlocks (the motor will always bring it down fine). I am thinking there is an adjustment needed on the latch maybe? Like the latch is still resisting and the motor stops so it doesn’t burn out or break. Anyone else have this issue on 2022 or 2023 model and know a quick fix or am I going to have to take it in for service?

RacerBX1

Reaction score
I got a 2023 Timberline 3 weeks ago and have seen a few odd things with the tailgate. It seems if I’m standing close to it when opening it will only open a little. Also noticed if I’m further away but walking up to it quickly it might stop opening up after a little bit. I was thinking it might be for safety that those conditions are monitored. If not then mine is acting funny as well.

Avee8tor

Reaction score
Following. Just posted in a quick review of mine that it does this sometimes. Considering they deleted the automatic sensing due to chip issues when they built it I'm curious also.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny enough, we just traded in a 2022 Chevy Suburban that had this exact same problem. Lots of complaints on the GM boards about it. Maybe they’re using the same gate lift motors lol :)

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there might be a sensor that senses you are too close to the liftgate and might hit you. If I am not standing at the rear of the vehicle and use the dash button or the remote button it opens fine. And if I'm standing back a little further it will open fine. It will also continue opening if I hit the button on the liftgate again and stand back.

Stsysar

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2023 max limited. I had the truck at the dealer for some other issues and the service manager told me they will calibrate the tailgate door lock. However, it is still the same after service.

It opens fine with the remote, but using the button, sometimes it gets stack and I need to press the button again for it to open. I also noticed it happen when I am very close to the tailgate.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, try this. The system has a limiting switch designed in it. Disconnect the arm that lifts/ lowers the hatch located on the driver side. Make a note of what direction you turn it, and how many turns. Reattach it. Operate the door and watch what it does. At this point you might be Roth on, or you may need another turn or two. Possibly even in the opposite direction.

When installing my aftermarket sub had to disassemble that area on the left rear side. The rod had to be disconnected from the door to remove particular panel(s). Had to move the truck once started, so closed the hatch; wrong. Power actuated the bar. It moved out of adjustment apparently because when I completed the sub upgrade the door wouldn’t stay shut after closing, and wouldn’t stay up after opening. Just up & down… up & down. Pulled the motorized arm back off, gave it a couple of turns. Too much… wouldn’t open after closing. You get the picture. After the third adjustment I was back where I needed to be. Make note of where u started. Disconnect power before removing so it doesn’t go wacko once disconnected like mine did. Good luck.

Dahammer

Reaction score
I think there might be a sensor that senses you are too close to the liftgate and might hit you. If I am not standing at the rear of the vehicle and use the dash button or the remote button it opens fine. And if I'm standing back a little further it will open fine. It will also continue opening if I hit the button on the liftgate again and stand back.
I experienced the same thing on my 2023 King Ranch Max. I even had the service dept look into it; they couldn't duplicate what I experienced.

Avee8tor

Reaction score
I just read elsewhere on the forum that Ford are aware of this particularly when the car is locked that the tailgate unlocks but won't fully open and are working on a fix. Suggest bringing it to the attention of service department so it can be resolved when they sort a fix out. PITA

bova80

Reaction score
I posted asking this same question, the answer I got was it only happens when you use the tailgate outside button, and if you hit it again it will continue on its way. If you use the key fob or button up front, it doesn't have that issue.