21 Rear Climate Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Epic Dad

Reaction score
I’m confused by the rear climate controls. When I turn in the rear climate up front it only seems to work bottom vents in the back not too. If I want the top vents to work I have to reach behind me and touch the head button on the rear console. Furthermore when I set the rear controls on the touch screen to auto the fan speed doesn’t change when I change the front fan speed manual buttons that are not on the screen. I know there is so more confusing questions I have about this but I can’t think of them all at the moment. Any insight?

Attachments

• 044EF0BE-CB86-4A97-BF11-A62F6FDE054A.jpeg
    044EF0BE-CB86-4A97-BF11-A62F6FDE054A.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 8
  • 2A506E94-523A-4D95-863E-70B8F1A35D0D.jpeg
    2A506E94-523A-4D95-863E-70B8F1A35D0D.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 27389CFA-043B-4B79-AADF-9F5F77AD4D2C.jpeg
    27389CFA-043B-4B79-AADF-9F5F77AD4D2C.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 8

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m confused by the rear climate controls. When I turn in the rear climate up front it only seems to work bottom vents in the back not too. If I want the top vents to work I have to reach behind me and touch the head button on the rear console. Furthermore when I set the rear controls on the touch screen to auto the fan speed doesn’t change when I change the front fan speed manual buttons that are not on the screen. I know there is so more confusing questions I have about this but I can’t think of them all at the moment. Any insight?
Yup - I have to do the same to get the second row top vents blowing. Have to reach behind and touch the button. Horrible design flaw by Ford

RABAYL01

Reaction score
What I have found is that when using heat, it uses the rear quarter panel vents to get the heat out as fast as possible. if you demand cool air, the air will come out of top. Even if you force the heat to come out of the top vents at initial start up, only cold air comes out. My assumption is that the air traveling through those duct work is less efficient on delivering the hot air. Makes sense? Haha

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The rear system is COMPLETELY independent. Nothing about the front control physical buttons changes the rear. If you turn the fan up in the front, it does not change the rear. Rear Auto settings works just like the front 2 zones. It is a 3rd zone.

Just like the front the desired temperature change affects the vent the air is coming out of. Heat comes from below, cool comes from above. That is the way air works. Heat rises, cool falls so to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I have trained my family. Set the temp, and let the system do its job. Get a little cold adjust up by one or 2 degrees, if you get hot, adjust down by 1 or 2. Just like at home, let it do its job. It works well under 95% of conditions.