21B10, 21N08, 21N03 Forscan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMPP

Reaction score
2018 Expedition with 23K miles would randomly have cam phaser noise. Received the Customer Satisfaction Program letter in the mail. Took the vehicle in and had the 21B10 done. It now sounds different and rattles more than before and more often also got the shudder that wasn't there before. I took it back to the dealer to have them do 21N08 because it was better with the previous programming. Rep said he didn't think they could return it to prior programming and I said this letter says you can. They then tell me that would only fix the shudder and not the noise and suggested I opt for 21N03 and have the phasers done while it's still under warranty as it's about a $4,000 job and that it would take about a week. I can't really be without it that long. I guess I could rent a car but really don't want to. Now, this may be good advice from the service rep to go ahead and have 21N03, but it was better with the as built programming so I don't understand why they wouldn't just try that first? Any ideas or suggestions as to what I should do? My other question is since they won't return to prior program if I have the original profile saved in Forscan is there a way I can do it?

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d suggest another dealer but I don’t know how it works with the programming…

Following, but this is why I’m not bringing mine in. Seems like most times a dealer touches my vehicles I end up getting it back in worse shape than I brought it in. Like when Infiniti cracked some plastic trim and looked like they used a fork to remove the dash pad on our M45x doing a airbag recall. We made them replace the whole dash. They didn’t plug in the cluster right so it went back on a flatbed. Jeep dealer screwed up my leather seats on my Grand Cherokee summit. I had an independent upholstery shop fix it. And it still never was right. I can go on but you get the idea.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not doable in FORSCAN. FORSCAN does not store/access everything. The programming changes they are doing is in the PCM/ECM, an area that FORSCAN does not touch.

MrTommy

Reaction score
My wife has a 2014 Expy, but I have a 2016 F-350 diesel. I got a dreaded Customer Satisfaction recall notice. I took the truck in and foolishly had the update done. Within 20 miles my truck almost completely shut down. I took it back to the dealer and it's been sitting there for over a month now, with no guestimate as to when the needed parts will arrive. The reason I'm mentioning this here is that I've learned my lesson. I will NEVER take my vehicles in for any of these computer 'updates' again. My truck was running fine before this. FINE! Customer Satisfaction my butt!

JERRY REGAN

Reaction score
Had my 2019 done at local dealer as the noise got real bad. Good thing he found one phasers had lost some parts and was able to retrieve them with ma magnet from the oil pan. They completed the job in three days. Runs great now and no noise on start up or idle. I would recommend getting it done under warranty.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's being fixed under warranty, the dealer should give you a loaner.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my 2019 done at local dealer as the noise got real bad. Good thing he found one phasers had lost some parts and was able to retrieve them with ma magnet from the oil pan. They completed the job in three days. Runs great now and no noise on start up or idle. I would recommend getting it done under warranty.
So the thing actually broke and sent metal pieces down the pan???!!

Now I find it even harder to believe Ford claim that cam phaser knock has "no long term impact on reliability"

Grizguy

Reaction score
I had fiberglass hanging out of my tail pipe. Muffler was defective. Ford replaced it and did the program update. I have only run one tank of fuel through it, but my MPG has gone from normally high 19 sense I have had it.. 60,000 miles to 16.3.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't possibly believe that's from the update, maybe the update requires a full ECM/Processor reset, which means your tranny is likely relearning etc, which could cause a drop in MPG. Can anyone describe the "Shudder"? Since I'm getting this update done tomorrow, I'm curious what I need to watch out for. Is it a "shudder" during acceleration? Appreciate any insight.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't possibly believe that's from the update, maybe the update requires a full ECM/Processor reset, which means your tranny is likely relearning etc, which could cause a drop in MPG. Can anyone describe the "Shudder"? Since I'm getting this update done tomorrow, I'm curious what I need to watch out for. Is it a "shudder" during acceleration? Appreciate any insight.
There's a mild shudder during light acceleration from 18-20 mph.